please add an offline option

Here you can discuss the game in general and provide us your opinion or feedback on the project.

04.05.2017, 07:00

Tsjuder
24h/day is too low. :(
Tanatloc

08.08.2017, 10:47

honestly don't see why the developers can't add an offline option to play offline against bots, this annoys me about all decent f2p games, the ones with solo play but force you to be connected all the time.

why not make offline support a paid feature? i'm sure people would pay (a reasonable cost) to be able to play the game offline, out all the f2p games i've tried over the last few years, this looks the best, i just don't like the online only component of all these games, i know there's no campaign / story but in the old days most mp games included offline play, before the ages of mmo, mmorpg, micro transactions, pay2win and dlc...

i see no downside of adding the option to the game for us offliners.

1. it allows you to enjoy and explore on your own + practice
2. can play when internet isn't available, when you have some time to kill
3. replay value when services end / shutdown which inevitabally happens at some point making the game useless and then is forgotten in the mists of times...
4. offline support in a game makes a game so much more enticing and boosts profits
Last edited by creakydoor on 08.08.2017, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

creakydoor

08.08.2017, 11:37

creakydoor:honestly don't see why the developers can't add an offline option to play offline against bots, this annoys me about all decent f2p games, the ones with solo play but force you to be connected all the time.

why not make offline support a paid feature? i'm sure people would pay (a reasonable cost) to be able to play the game offline, out all the f2p games i've tried over the last few years, this looks the best, i just don't like the online only component of all these games, i know there's no campaign / story but in the old days most mp games included offline play, before the ages of mmo, mmorpg, micro transactions, pay2win and dlc...

i see no downside of adding the option to the game for us offliners.

1. it allows you to enjoy and explore on your own + practice
2. can play when internet isn't available, when you have some time to kill
3. replay value when services end / shutdown which inevitabally happens at some point making the game useless and then is forgotten in the mists of times...
4. offline support in a game makes a game so much more enticing and boosts profits

If one sees no reasons, doesn't mean that no reason exist.

1. Authorization. In order to login under your account so to sync character progress you need internet.
2. Crush reporting. There's 0 sense to prevent crush reports being sent just because someone is annoyed.
3. Installation files seeding. When you're online your machine can seed game archive through torrent, which is impossible when user is offline.
4. Usage statistics. To fix, balance, optimize game team needs to get actual info about palyer's configuration and actions.

There's more but even those points would be enough to convince devs to not to shoot their own foot ny adding offline mode.
Last edited by karat805 on 08.08.2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
karat805
Survivor

08.08.2017, 12:59

Another thing is that this thesis:
creakydoor:i'm sure people would pay (a reasonable cost) to be able to play the game offline[...]

... may be totally untrue. The fact that online-based and free-to-play games and such became so successful shows us that the most people just don't care if they need a constant internet connection and that they cause a waste of internet traffic. People just don't care and rather enjoy the implied conveniences, like having all personal player data stored on a server and no need of manual backupping or synchronizing between different devices. Sad but true - in some ways. Also Survarium really doesn't provide so many offline features. Shooting Grounds, Tutorial and Training with Bots... oh and the Lobby xD (without the global chat of course), so my thesis: People wouldn't spent money (not even time) in those offline features.
jule

10.08.2017, 09:59

karat805:
If one sees no reasons, doesn't mean that no reason exist.

1. Authorization. In order to login under your account so to sync character progress you need internet.
2. Crush reporting. There's 0 sense to prevent crush reports being sent just because someone is annoyed.
3. Installation files seeding. When you're online your machine can seed game archive through torrent, which is impossible when user is offline.
4. Usage statistics. To fix, balance, optimize game team needs to get actual info about palyer's configuration and actions.

There's more but even those points would be enough to convince devs to not to shoot their own foot ny adding offline mode.

1. for offline play, just make all weapons etc available or just make a standard loadout available.
2. crash reporting isn't needed for offline play, plus the game is pretty stable
3. just make an offline installer.
4. not required for offline play.

those are all poor reasons.

lots of people waste money on free 2 play games & content, so i see no downside to that either.

people would spend money on offline features, because replay value down the line is important. or games that have no mp wouldn't keep selling. not everyone likes playing online ALL the time, players like a bit of both.

i suspect the only ones that don't want offline features are;

players only interested in statistics, leaderboards, k/d ratios etc.
Last edited by creakydoor on 10.08.2017, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

creakydoor

10.08.2017, 11:08

creakydoor:i suspect the only ones that don't want offline features are;

This is not part of the development pathway for Survarium.

An offline option is not possible because all important game logic, hit detection - everything, is server side.
This server side code is proprietary, confidential and cannot be distributed to the public.
VG would have to rewrite completely the client side software and then the offline client would be useless for online play due to incompatibility and cheating.
Now you have two code bases to support.

Also, regarding points 2 and 4. These features are pivotal to the game because you are playing a beta - a beta which is being used, among other things, as a proof of concept for a more advanced format PvE experience.
The data gathered is a critical and an integral part of the contract you undertake when you play this game as a beta tester.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.
trouble_every_day
Supermoderator

10.08.2017, 14:47

Until we have a player base that can support all the different game modes, we need to scrap any co-op or single player ideas. Free play would probably give us a huge increase of players, until then we also need ranked to be part of regular matchmaking so queue times won't drive people away.
Dain_Ironfoot

10.08.2017, 22:30

trouble_every_day:
This is not part of the development pathway for Survarium.

An offline option is not possible because all important game logic, hit detection - everything, is server side.
This server side code is proprietary, confidential and cannot be distributed to the public.
VG would have to rewrite completely the client side software and then the offline client would be useless for online play due to incompatibility and cheating.
Now you have two code bases to support.

Also, regarding points 2 and 4. These features are pivotal to the game because you are playing a beta - a beta which is being used, among other things, as a proof of concept for a more advanced format PvE experience.
The data gathered is a critical and an integral part of the contract you undertake when you play this game as a beta tester.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

That and if people play offline, they aren't online buying the p2w rubbish....it seems we can't have nice things anymore.

creakydoor

10.08.2017, 22:46

The harsh truth is that your request is intruiging but requires a lot of funds, an insane amount of time and effort while the potential income is uncertain. Heck, the game doesn't even have the first PvE gamemode as of yet and that alone requires the full attention of the studio. Alas, life can punch you in the stumach from time to time.
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 10.08.2017, 22:59, edited 8 times in total.

Davik_Heragon

11.08.2017, 00:32

So you tell us:
creakydoor:honestly don't see why the developers can't add an offline option

But it turns out that when you are given the most valid reasons, both technical and philosophical - that your topic is actually about:
creakydoor:That and if people play offline, they aren't online buying the p2w rubbish....

Well I'm sorry, I can't help you with that.
trouble_every_day
Supermoderator

11.08.2017, 06:55

For what price you would buy offline option. I hope, you understand it couldn't be for free? Also, you would pay for beta? This game is in development, not finished product.
Last edited by Tanatloc on 11.08.2017, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Tanatloc

10.02.2019, 12:40

i see that PvE now in the game yet you still can't play anything offline...

why does everything have to be online only these days?

i miss mp games with bots.

can't play battlefield offline anymore with bots as they haven't had the feature since the 2142 game

modern cod needs to be online to play mp maps with bots

new battlefront games don't have offline mp like the old games

can't play terrorist hunt offline on rainbow six siege

creakydoor

10.02.2019, 20:46

The game now has a mode called "training with bots" where you can play with bots offline, without connecting to a server. You obviously still need an online connection to launch the game.
Last edited by Chandrian on 10.02.2019, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Chandrian
Survivor

11.02.2019, 11:19

creakydoor:

i'm in my 30's now and don't play much mp these days as it's just irritating to play (guess it's something to do with getting older)

uh no bro , it have nothing to do with that trust me i have ben there(frustration moment ),i will try to explain with my poor English,

you just need to change the way you are playing mentally , we old farts used to play like old games style 90's fps games (cs1.6 , bf 2 ..etc "Static mechanisms")now you have to adjust to now days game style (cod , ~bf4 etc "NEXT" gen bs), yet survarium have both mixed , i am not sure if i explained it right .

( and you will be surprised how many grandpa's in this community, most of my friends in this game 25 to 40+, like ..the most online game that have too many old gamers , which is is something good imo)
StalkerElite 1988

12.02.2019, 12:44

1988 and old fart? Doesn't fit for me.
Tanatloc

12.02.2019, 15:51

Tanatloc:1988 and old fart? Doesn't fit for me.

ok
StalkerElite 1988

13.02.2019, 03:25

there are so many adults here ...once i thought i was the only older one here lol....btw i'm 32
ÏÑÐÏÀN_ŠNÌPÈR

13.02.2019, 08:26

Some players are over 50.
Tanatloc

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Game Discussion