Question about squads and matchmaking

Here you can discuss the game in general and provide us your opinion or feedback on the project.

05.12.2018, 17:59

Matchmaking seems to be very much hit and miss lately. By lately I mean for the last month, since I only played this 2 years and 1 year ago before that. A few matches every now and then are quite evenly balanced and quite fun. But at least 50% of the time I can tell already before the match starts, how its gonna end. Not the exact score, but the end result with 99% certainty. Therefore I just leave many matches right away, as theres no point wasting my time getting spawnkilled for 15 minutes.
As the gameplay has decidedly moved towards more importance on teamplay and communication, there's just no reason to take part in a match when you know you dont have a supporting team and no chance to win, but not even a chance to play. And since there are not that many people playing, you know who's who in a few weeks to a month. Or maybe its just my good memory for names :D

In reality though, it seems that matchmaking mostly struggles for 2 main reasons: REALLY strong 3-man squads or 2x2-man vs. solo players/random squads and secondly just too few players to make equal matchups. Lets face it, a 3-man ARTS squad with whoever else in their team always destroys anyone else, even when total ELO is seemingly quite matched. And in matches with few human players for example - a strong player and an average player almost always destroy 2 average players. Especially when the former are squad and communicating.

will111

06.12.2018, 02:55

ARTS....
Tanatloc

06.12.2018, 09:17

Yes, example from today https://survarium.pro/matches/12426842

Although, from actual playability side the it wasnt that bad this time, the match itself was fun and ARTS plays fair, doesnt sit in the bush like most other elmos nowadays. In 1 vs. 1 faceoff's we werent always destroyed, but in regards of trying to win the match, still no chance in hell. And yet, ELO seems fairly balanced :D
But that was a 2 vs. 2 player match with both teams having aggressive gameplay style, good knowledge of map and a big map with enough chances to manouvre and take very different paths. Now lets imagine School map slaughter mode 8 vs. 8 human and a team of fairly new players who think they will camp and snipe behind a box against 4 ARTS players and some additional support. Its gonna be quick and brutal, with accusations of hacking flying around in the chat later and some of those destroyed campgurus never playing the game again, because P2W and all that..

will111

06.12.2018, 11:39

Relatively new players SHOULDN'T get put in matches against high ELO players. I think Ivan said somewhere on the forum that the matchmaker would ideally look for players with ELO of >1600 minimum to play in the "top tier"
Scaramanga

06.12.2018, 17:03

1600 is too low IMO
Tanatloc

06.12.2018, 23:13

Tanatloc:1600 is too low IMO

So's the playerbase; I think that's probably the problem.
Scaramanga

07.12.2018, 01:08

matchmaking by ELO obviously isnt perfect or anywhere near perfect, but I can't say its totally the systems fault. more like a result of the the pretty strange way this game usually plays out. most of the most experienced players propably are from ukraine and russia, which are totally different times zones than all of the america, australia, asia etc. there can be high elo players that have a similar rating, but who realistically are on a different level. its just that most of time they dont meet each other in matches.

the thing that would really be able to solve at least some of the brutally unequal matchmaking is if certain people just wouldnt squad up so much. not saying they shouldnt, but that would propably help the matchmaker a lot in some cases. nothing really can solve the problem of low playerbase. its a shame though that even when the matchmaking time is mostly shorter now than what it used to be with 10 or 5 tiers...that players often have more reason to leave the match than before. you just cant do anything with a team that finds the best places to hide on a map, and mostly its no fun to just spawnkill and farm bots either.

will111

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Game Discussion