Sensors and Explosvies

Here you can discuss the game in general and provide us your opinion or feedback on the project.

21.11.2018, 22:04

Since the last update we all see that sensors (throwable scanners as well as stationary ones) and explosives like mines and claymores are used more frequently. Which is nice, because before the update it seemed they were kinda useless or not worth the disadvantages. However, I not only get mad when walking through the 20th damn claymore right after spawning, no I also think that sometimes they ruin the game play (attention: controversy ahead!).

Example 1 (claymores, mines, etc.): The fact that they are annoying is ok for me, but they sort of grant you a kill for free. To be honest I don't know how much points a claymore-kill gives right now... 10? Probably. Especially on game modes like TDM and Slaugther this is a problem, because these easy kills even lower the enemy's ticket pool. I don't find that fair. So my suggestion is to consider these kills "tactical" ones. They don't give you points and neither do they lower the life-ticket pool (in TDM and Slaughter). The word "tactical" now explaines why it would still make sense to use these items: Because you may need it for tactical reasons, e.g. when you want to camp at a place where the enemy could come from behind. Put a mine behind you and you are safe from that side. And I am talking about mines as well as grenades!

Example 2 (sensors): I think they really just suck and destroy balancing at some point. Because in specific situations they become extreemely strong. Combined with smoke on game modes like Research, they are just nasty. Yet, I don't want to spare them because somehow I find them cool. How about making them a bit less effective, by not letting them mark enemies on the mini map, but give an accoustic signal? The type of sound could determine how many enemies are near and the speed of beeping would determine the distance from the (nearest) enemy to the scanner. That would make it quite hard to use them, because you never know the direction where the enemy is and also you need to be careful where you throw the sensor, since the accoustic signal depends not on your position but on the sensor's position. Stationary ones just last longer and have a bigger scanning range. It would actually also give you an advantage, because you don't need to look at the mini map but can keep focus on what is in front of your gun. My biggest concern: People that use a headset and are sensitive to noises would have a big advantage over those who rather listen to good music while playing.

What do you think? Further ideas?
jule

23.11.2018, 06:30

Those are both actually really good ideas...i mean surprisingly good! Although personally I would totally delete all kind of mines, traps etc from the game and just leave grenades. The grenade throwing fiasko is at least realistic. Planting mines and claymores and traps in like 1 second...this is just a big joke to be honest. If it would take AT LEAST 5 seconds minimum and the mines would add a lot of weight (=much less speed for the player) then it would make some sense.

Also, why oh why cant those mines and claymores work on the enemy and NOT your own team? As if the enemy's mines arent annoying enough, now i constantly die on those things set up by my own team :S It's just absurd.

I think one possible way to please every side in this would also be to disallow explosives (except grenades) in a specific gamemode, obviously in slaugther for example. Maybe in TDM as well...other modes are clearly more tactical and could actually benefit from those kind of tricks like planting explosives and traps at certain passages. But lets be honest, nobody really wants to be killed by a friggin claymore in slaughter gamemode! Its a gamemode for shooting skilles and movement, not for sticking a mine and going to hide in the bush (something i've actually seen many guys do recently)

will111

23.11.2018, 11:26

will111:
Also, why oh why cant those mines and claymores work on the enemy and NOT your own team? As if the enemy's mines arent annoying enough, now i constantly die on those things set up by my own team :S It's just absurd.

No offence, but friendly traps are clearly marked on screen when you're near them. If you're blindly running into them, then it's kinda your own fault...
Scaramanga

25.11.2018, 10:27

I wasnt talking about blindly running into them was I? I was talking about being able to at least still use those paths that some friendlies have blocked with their mines and traps. For me this game is all about movement, and its clear that many maps have very specific connecting paths between certain areas. If my teammates are p***** and want to gather kills in slaughter or tdm in the cheapest way...ok, fine by me. But if that is restricting my playstyle then it just becomes too frustrating

will111

28.11.2018, 01:17

will111:I wasnt talking about blindly running into them was I?

will111:As if the enemy's mines arent annoying enough, now i constantly die on those things set up by my own team

Mmhmm...

Seriously though, I don't see mines used THAT frequently, and if friendly traps really are in your way, just destroy them. Do it enough times and whoever keeps putting them somewhere will realise it's pointless and stop.
Scaramanga

04.12.2018, 23:54

In certain matches they are used really frequently. In others, yes, maybe not so much. But when they are used a lot, I mean so frequently and in such amount that sometimes I dont have a path to advance on the map, only option is to just turn back. Or walk back a fair way and then shoot at the mine to destroy it. Which in turn is a really bad thing for me because 1) it warrants unwanted attention form enemy 2) I have to full stop for quite a long time, which on most maps puts me in a clear risk of getting killed in a few seconds from side or behind 3) I have to waste bullets and reload after, just to destroy a friendly mine?!? 4) the mines damage seems to be so high that even when I step away from it quite a lot, I still receive as much as 40-50 damage. So if an enemy was near and saw what happened, he will know that im around the corner, so he has the advantage over me already. And while I might have to start healing he'll just step in and kill me easily.

So, yes...its possible to destroy them and I have done that many times. But what is the point exactly, why I have to do something like that? Realism? Like I said already, theres nothing realistic in planting a mine in half a second while sprinting, why should there be any more realism in some other aspect of it?
Making the mines and explosives not explode on friendlies is nothing that needs a big development effort, and I dont believe its anything that would make anyone complain. Besides, I find it is even more realistic if friendlies could by default not trigger those things. Seems only logical since they basically know the devices are there anyway.

About people realizing its pointless and stop. Well, it aint true from what i've seen. You'd think people will realize that sitting in a bush without changing your location after killing someone is also pointless (as I have proven to certain players many and many times over...), but appearently people insist on going back to the very same bush and keep dying :D So, dont overestimate the playerbase :) If someone thinks that mines are his superweapon, all you get for blowing them up is a few nasty words in the chat

will111

05.12.2018, 07:59

will, you can always defuse those mines. Then only second point is true - you're losing time. Better than nothing. ;P
Tanatloc

05.12.2018, 17:21

Elaborate please? I havent seen any options presented to defuse planted mines. Other than...well, shooting at them.

will111

05.12.2018, 17:26

will111:Elaborate please? I havent seen any options presented to defuse planted mines. Other than...well, shooting at them.

Approach and hold "E" to defuse. Unless it's a claymore behind a corner. Then you're fooked.
Last edited by UnknownPlayer666 on 05.12.2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
UnknownPlayer666

05.12.2018, 18:03

Yes, it appears that most times I am fooked :D

Although, I must admit its pretty daunting to approach a mine for just the right distance and hold E in a super fastpaced game like this one. I'll check it out though. But its usually claymores behind the corner anyway..those seem to be the "peoples choice award winner product"

will111

06.12.2018, 01:33

haha I farm a lot "crazy runners" with mines, sometimes the same guy all the match, please no touch the mines hahaha
BąrвyLs

06.12.2018, 02:29

Must be a truly rewarding feeling to get such skillful kills eh? :D

btw, i checked the mine defusing option, and sure enough you can actually do that. if you find the exact right distance not to trigger it first... and if you look directly at the mine. By the time you're all done with this trickery, most times you're usually dead anyway, as the gameplay speed in slaughter and sometimes even tdm is pretty insane :D So i'll propably just keep shooting them. Overall though, this (explosives in general, not just friendly ones) is one of the main reasons to just not play this game that much any more. Together with the one-shotting over the map sniping from various bushes and totally ridiculous material penetration physics that the game has employed.

will111

07.12.2018, 08:49

BąrвyLs:haha I farm a lot "crazy runners" with mines, sometimes the same guy all the match, please no touch the mines hahaha

They die only half of time but at least they slow down :)
Last edited by ike07 on 07.12.2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
ike07

08.12.2018, 06:06

Well, not really ike. I guess you can call me a "crazy runner", since my equipment choice favors speed and I stay moving in matches most of the time, if not all of the time.
If I die on a mine, i'll just respawn and run on, exactly the same way. And if i dont die on it, I'll heal myself and it wont have mattered one way or another. And if there's really some "crazy mine guy" in a match who absolutely cant do anything else but plant those everywhere I'll just switch to another profile with big exp protection, pick up a - explosive damage arfifact and run through them, hunt this sucker down a couple of times, spawnkill him a couple of times and then change back to a regular profile :D Its just a bit frustrating to do that, but the lesson must be taught

will111

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Game Discussion