Changes to Premium Items in 0.30

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

29.07.2015, 15:19

In Survarium 0.30 premium weapons and equipment will significantly change. But before going into details, let us explain how we see the role of premium items in the game.

First of all, one of our basic rules is no pay2win mechanics. This means that premium weapons and equipment must not give any additional benefits in battle. So the players can always craft similar (or even stronger) items without spending real money.

Also premium weapons and equipment have to be visually different from their standard counterparts.

Finally, premium weapons and equipment must make the gameplay more comfortable. At the moment this is achieved via bonus experience, reputation or money. But the implementation of this feature led to a problem: premium weapons and equipment became weaker than similar non-premium items with three modifiers. This is because the major part of premium items had only one battle upgrade. The other two modifiers affected experience, reputation or silver gain.

In Survarium 0.30 we introduce a number of changes designed to improve the quality of premium items, while maintaining parity between them and non-premium items. Now premium items will have three random upgrades and one preset modifier that increases experience or reputation. The three battle modifiers are assigned randomly upon purchase. You will also be able to change these upgrades just like on all other items with random modifications.

Thus, buying a premium item will allow you to significantly save time that would be spent on upgrading the item to the maximum level. An additional premium modifier that increases experience or reputation will is a lovely bonus.

Please note that players with premium items will not receive any benefits in combat. Premium items allow to level up faster, but not to make a character stronger than his opponents.

With the release of the update the characteristics of already purchased premium weapons and equipment will change. Changes will occur according to the rules below.

- If current random upgrades do not affect experience, reputation, or silver gain, they remain unchanged.
- If current random upgrades affect experience, reputation, or silver gain, they will be replaced with random battle modifiers.
- These random modifiers can be changed further.
- Each premium-item gets a new modifier that increases experience or reputation gain (depending on the item type).

Leave your feedback about these changes on forums. And see you in Survarium 0.30!

Read the news on the site
Last edited by joewillburn on 29.07.2015, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Андрияш Козловский

29.07.2015, 15:32

I wonder if they're still going to be separate items with separate stats, like the AK-12M1 and VSS Vintorez.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

29.07.2015, 15:36

I dont know what to say.....im really sceptic oO
Roxo

29.07.2015, 15:37

I don't know, people are already crying "p2w" with locked mods.
str0lek

29.07.2015, 15:41

ze avesum chickn wrote:I don't know, people are already crying "p2w" with locked mods.

That's exactly the reason why we are introducing the changes: the mods will not be locked AND a premium item will have an extra predesigned mod to boost exp, reputation or silver.
Yava
Vostok Games
Survivor

29.07.2015, 15:43

Yava:

That's exactly the reason why we are introducing the changes: the mods will not be locked AND a premium item will have an extra predesigned mod to boost exp, reputation or silver.

I don't think you understood me. What I meant to say is that people are going to cry harder with this decision. Now, people with premium weapons can change the mods and select the best mods.

But I don't really care, because I don't see premium weapons as "p2w". Just wanted to share it.
str0lek

29.07.2015, 15:51

Joe, what about the current hidden stats? (recoil, more ammo, etc) Are these items going to have the exact same stats as their counterparts? (level, damage, hidden stats,...)

I think this is the answer we all like to know.
Old Sea Captain

29.07.2015, 16:01

Old Sea Captain wrote:Joe, what about the current hidden stats? (recoil, more ammo, etc) Are these items going to have the exact same stats as their counterparts? (level, damage, hidden stats,...) I think this is the answer we all like to know.

Each case needs to be reviewed separately. I cannot guarantee everything is absolutely fine there. Since there have been multiple changes and modifications and something could have been omitted. We are doing our best to ensure there are no hidden stats whatsoever and everything is as transparent as possible. So if players find something, we are happy to review and fix the non-correspondences.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.07.2015, 16:04

Андрияш Козловский:
First of all, one of our basic rules is no pay2win mechanics. This means that premium weapons and equipment must not give any additional benefits in battle. So the players can always craft similar (or even stronger) items without spending real money.
Please note that players with premium items will not receive any benefits in combat. Premium items allow to level up faster, but not to make a character stronger than his opponents.

Old Sea Captain:Joe, what about the current hidden stats? (recoil, more ammo, etc) Are these items going to have the exact same stats as their counterparts? (level, damage, hidden stats,...)

I think this is the answer we all like to know.

Oh really? No benefits? What about the ones Old Sea Captain mentiones?

Furthermore why the need to even do this? Because it's unfair? People see an item, make an informed decision to buy it based on clear information and this is somehow unfair?

Oh well, at least you are moving in the right direction to justify $50 for a single gun, instead of just making them cheaper and not better. The classic VG doublethinks:

"We don't need people do buy gold, but here's a bunch of weapons and premium accounts on sale in our gold premium shop".

"We strive to keep our game P2W free but we recently updated our premium weapons to have combat mods on top of non combat mods and hidden stats like less recoil".

Jinxedster

29.07.2015, 16:06

Please make same magazine capacity for premium and common VSS , both 20 or both 10 - doesnt matter. Thank you.
biobizz

29.07.2015, 16:12

Just to reiterate, if you want a Level n premium weapon then just choose a Level n weapon.

Don't deliberately pick a Level n-1 weapon and buff its stats to fit the new level, as people will (and already have) cried foul.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

29.07.2015, 16:19

joewillburn:

Each case needs to be reviewed separately. I cannot guarantee everything is absolutely fine there. Since there have been multiple changes and modifications and something could have been omitted. We are doing our best to ensure there are no hidden stats whatsoever and everything is as transparent as possible. So if players find something, we are happy to review and fix the non-correspondences.

Ok, in that case, you have my full support. Great job, VG.
Old Sea Captain

29.07.2015, 16:20

This will not go over well. You guys basically took what a good portion of the community was complaining about, and made it worse XD. I don't care personally since I see it as somewhat minor, and I know money needs to be made. I think I am going to take a break until freeplay so it wont matter to me yet anyway.
Wo_oT

29.07.2015, 16:23

Jinxedster wrote:hidden stats

The "hidden" stats as you refer to them were identified and publically stated to be a mistake on a programmers behalf.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.07.2015, 16:29

Good change! I love how this game is 0% p2w!
MrGrzybek

29.07.2015, 16:40

joewillburn:

The "hidden" stats as you refer to them were identified and publically stated to be a mistake on a programmers behalf.

I might be wrong but the less recoild stat was never admitted or fixed. Hopefully you have adressed these issues in .30 and when the community takes a look at the actual stats of the weapons in the upcoming patch we will not have any surprises. I have faith.

Jinxedster

29.07.2015, 16:40

Expecting tons of new threads on forums about P2W as soon as 030 goes live.Just looking at past and how VG handled various situation I just have a feeling that this really won't end well.Not well at all.
SteVik

29.07.2015, 16:48

joewillburn:

Ehm, stop right there.

Those stats we mistake only in advantage for premium weapons and i think it was even you, who stated, that those things were for balance purpose of premium weapons with 3mod counterparts! (i think this one was about more ammo issue) Really... stop this, i dont like lies. You mess up and trying to fix that, but that doesnt make past any different.

Wo_oT:This will not go over well. You guys basically took what a good portion of the community was complaining about, and made it worse XD. I don't care personally since I see it as somewhat minor, and I know money needs to be made. I think I am going to take a break until freeplay so it wont matter to me yet anyway.

wait, i think you dont get it. They are actually making it better according to the post. This is the fair state of game.

Two same weapons (3mods) and one gives you bonus exp/money. This is fair as long as grinding time in game is terrible.
Last edited by Old Sea Captain on 29.07.2015, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
Old Sea Captain

29.07.2015, 16:53

Old Sea Captain wrote:Ehm, stop right there. Those stats we mistake only in advantage for premium weapons and i think it was even you, who stated, that those things were for balance purpose of premium weapons with 3mod counterparts! (i think this one was about more ammo issue) Really... stop this, i dont like lies. You mess up and trying to fix that, but that doesnt make past any different.

The Ammo (more rounds in a magazine) is not considered "hidden" as it is visible to all who have the gift of sight. The "hidden" stats were mismatches in things like weapon recoil etc. Which, we stated was a programming error and not intentional. Please don't accuse me of lying.

Finally, to quote myself "So if players find something, we are happy to review and fix the non-correspondences". So, there should be no reason to panic. If anything falls through the cracks, let us know and we will look into it.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.07.2015, 17:04

joewillburn:

The Ammo (more rounds in a magazine) is not considered "hidden" as it is visible to all who have the gift of sight.

According to this logic, there we no hidden stats, because they all can be seen in a root files of game for those with gift of sight and fingers for googling. And i am just pointing out, that it is really curious coincidence, that those stats were rigged to help those weapons to be better. :) Dont really want to argue here, but i really dont buy, that the programmers by mistake instead of copy pasting stats made their own.

Only thing, that enrage me was the fact, that instead of admiting bad marketing approch and making it better, you try to cover it up. We all make mistakes and i have a feeling, that an honest approach towards the community would work much better.

I do not want to argue about this in this topic (there is no need), just wanted to say what i have said in response to your post.

P.S. As i said, i am really happy with current changes, hope they will end up well. Keep it up.
Last edited by Old Sea Captain on 29.07.2015, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Old Sea Captain

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback