Performance Guide

This section is for discussing technical questions relating to the Beta version of Survarium, including game-bugs.

21.01.2015, 10:00

--Basic--

-Disable Windows User Account Control
While it won't directly boost performance, it will stop those popups from appearing when performing some of the below modifications. Go to your control panel, click User Accounts, Change User Account Control settings and drag the bar down to the bottom and accept.

-Download Ccleaner
Download the free version of Ccleaner from Piriform (you don't need the paid version) and run the default cleaner as well as the registry cleaner. Won't do a lot, but will help a bit.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

-Defrag your hard drive (HDD users only)
Don't do this if you are using an SSD. Download Defraggler free from Piriform, point it to your hard drive, click defrag then go get your favourite beverage of choice, as with large, full drives, this is going to take a while.
https://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

-Update graphics drivers
Go to the AMD or Nvidia website and make sure your graphics drivers are the latest release. If they aren't download the latest, run it and select to uninstall the existing drivers. Then restart the PC, run Ccleaner normal and registry to remove leftovers then run the drivers again to clean install them.

-Disable unneeded graphics options
Disable vsync, motion blur and Ambient Occlusion in the game options. Also, drop shadows down if you need more fps.

-Disable Windows Aero while game is running
Go to your "Survarium/game/binaries/x86" folder and right click "survarium.exe" and click "Properties". Go to the compatibility tab and tick "Disable desktop composition" and hit ok. Now every time the game is launched, the desktop will switch to classic view without the fluff, and change back when the game is closed. Freeing up a small amount of resources for the game.

-Disable extra graphics on your GPU's control panel
For Nvidia users, go to the profiles tab, find the one for survarium.exe and turn off triple-buffering and vsync. Set others to off or let the application decide.
For AMD users, create a profile pointing to survarium.exe and adjust the settings the same way.

-Set Windows power options to high performance
Open your control panel and then the power options. Under preferred plans mark "High Performance", you may have to click the drop down bar underneath to show it. This will use more power on a laptop, but has no real effect on desktops other than increased performance.

--Moderate--

-Run the game as high priority
Download this tool, run it and set the affinity to high. I'd advise you to leave it on high as setting it to realtime can cause processes needed by Windows to stall, causing a crash.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6169

-Disable unneeded startup programs
Open the Windows start menu and type "msconfig" and hit enter. Click on the startup tab, then untick programs that aren't needed such as Adobe updater, java and others. Don't untick things you need like antivirus programs as they won't run when Windows is launched. Once done, restart the PC.

-Disable Windows Superfetch service
Superfetch is a process that is meant to learn how you use your PC and optimises resource allocation, in reality it is completely broken and will slow down processes quite a lot. Open the start menu, type in "services.msc" and scroll down to Superfetch. Right click it and click "Properties". In the "General" tab, click the "Startup type" dropdown box and choose "Disabled". Restart your PC. Don't touch anything else as most of them are critical to Windows.

-Disable drive indexing
Open the start menu and type in "services.msc". Scroll down to "Windows Search" right click it, properties, then click the "Startup type" dropdown box and click disable, then restart your PC. Note, this will reduce storage drive use allowing faster access for other programs, but it will also cause the Windows search feature to be much slower in return. Most people will never use the built-in search service, but if you do keep this in mind.

--High--

-Overclock CPU and GPU (Desktops only)
There are a ton of CPU/motherboard combinations out there and most of them have different ways of overclocking, so for that it is best to look up a guide online.
For GPU's, MSI Afterburner is free and works for both AMD and Nvidia. After installing, you can use it to increase your GPU's settings a tiny amount each step. Only make 1 change at a time and test it each time. Preferably using a benchmark program such as Unigene Valley. When you start to get artifacting or broken textures, back off the overclock to the previous settings and test again. Keep an eye on your GPU's temperature to make sure it's safe.

-SSD drives
Buy and install an SSD drive into your PC and install Survarium on that for a huge performance boost if you are currently running on a HDD drive.

-RAMdisk
If you have a large amount of RAM (16GB+) you can download a RAMdisk program which you can use to copy Survarium onto your RAM at each boot. RAMdisks are several times faster than an SSD and will make a large difference. Note, the game installs to about 8GB currently, and any RAM you assign to the disk will be inaccessible to Windows for normal use. So make sure you have enough to spare.
Last edited by Gamertech on 23.01.2015, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Gamertech
Survivor

22.01.2015, 23:42

-Run the game as high priority
Download this batch file, extract it and copy the startHigh.bat file to your "Survarium/game/binaries/x86" folder. Then just use it to run the game. You can create a shortcut to it on the desktop if you wish. Note, when you tab out of the game, the process changes back to normal priority to allow you to do things outside of the game without having performance impacted. I'd advise you to leave it on high as setting it to realtime can cause processes needed by Windows to stall, causing a crash.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cqewg ... rtHigh.rar

Hi, the file is down, please fix it, i need... thx!
ST0NER

23.01.2015, 08:31

Done.
Gamertech
Survivor

24.01.2015, 00:38

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English (google translator)
ST0NER

31.01.2015, 22:10

d-load so slow from patcher omg........ after 3h 2gb to load from 2,5..... wtf 16000kbits i got most thime under 100kb down to 5kb download
Last edited by Skillagra on 31.01.2015, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

Skillagra

31.01.2015, 22:21

Skillagra:d-load so slow from patcher omg........ after 3h 2gb to load from 2,5..... wtf 16000kbits i got most thime under 100kb down to 5kb download
It is not only VG side, it is your side as well - normal speeds are around 500-600kbps, if you have less then it is due to your connection/routing.
afGan+

31.01.2015, 22:39

dont loooks like still tryed out on steam and i got 2mb/s d-load....

Skillagra

31.01.2015, 23:41

Skillagra:dont loooks like still tryed out on steam and i got 2mb/s d-load....

Steam has local server then... It depends where you are, but you need to understand that you are downloading from server in russia. You can try using torrent option, but for me it doesn't increase download speed.
afGan+

09.02.2015, 05:56

Skillagra:d-load so slow from patcher omg........ after 3h 2gb to load from 2,5..... wtf 16000kbits i got most thime under 100kb down to 5kb download

If you mean the launcher download speed fumbled to absurd low speeds, sadly this has been normal for the launcher. It seems an artificial cap happens for some testers, while a few say they never had anything of the sort.

It ends up being far quicker just to load the torrent in its own dedicated torrent browser and download from there, getting more than 1MB a second easily.
chicken_feet

08.03.2015, 11:37

Gamertech:
-RAMdisk
If you have a large amount of RAM (16GB+) you can download a RAMdisk program which you can use to copy Survarium onto your RAM at each boot. RAMdisks are several times faster than an SSD and will make a large difference. Note, the game installs to about 8GB currently, and any RAM you assign to the disk will be inaccessible to Windows for normal use. So make sure you have enough to spare.

Hi, I'm looking to test running survarium on a RAMdisk. I want to know if you have to install all the game on the RAMdisk after every boot?

Or just copy the file ressources.db (5,07 Go, it seems to be the main file used by HDD when game is launched) on the RAMdisk with a shortcut to link it to original folder?

THX
BENDERBRAU

04.04.2015, 01:06

eu preciso de ajuda guando foi criar no atalho do jogo aparececan be lauched only windows vista or later version. como eu resolvo isso?
matheuscnr

07.04.2015, 19:24

I dont know why but i have so much low fps and its not normal cuz in others i got like 100+ fps so..can you fix it or is just cuz its beta?
Secshun

07.04.2015, 19:39

Secshun:I dont know why but i have so much low fps and its not normal cuz in others i got like 100+ fps so..can you fix it or is just cuz its beta?

What is your hardware, and what are your game settings and resolution?
chicken_feet

13.04.2015, 07:37

What about the mouse lag/stuttering?? the game is unplayable atm. it looks really good and i want to play it but so far i havent heard anything on twitter, steam or this website about it being fixed.
Augmented

28.04.2015, 02:20

well when i run it through steam it says their is a missing executable

ZOMBIE DESTOROYER

30.04.2015, 02:24

matheuscnr:eu preciso de ajuda guando foi criar no atalho do jogo aparececan be lauched only windows vista or later version. como eu resolvo isso?

What?

Will SLI/Crossfire support ever be a thing
JamesMvngTrgt

11.05.2015, 01:42

processor amda4-4000 radeon (tm) HD Graphics / 2cpus / 3.0ghz
4100ram, / video card amd radeon hd 7480 hd (2135MB ), type DAC interno DAC (400 MHz). I lack that requirements for the game to walk me well. because with minimal graphics me very wrong and 10 fps . thnks

I play goes badly , that requirements do I need to run well , with very low graphics me wrong and few fps.

Servallies96

11.05.2015, 18:18

Hey all. I think I found why this game laggs for some people. in survarium_(username) shows Found adapted with index: 0, vendor id: 10DE, device id: 1292, description: NVIDIA GeForce GT t.t. but when I cheked with afterburner in game my gpu uses 0 and integrated card 95 percent . Ewen tho the system thinks that it swiches to NVIDIA geforce GPU. but when I change resoliution of the game from 1366x788 to 800x600 resoliution and restart the game and start match afterburner shows that game uses geforce nvidia GPU and no longer integrated so ofc I getting no laggs at all with 120 and more fps from 5-10 fps. sry for bad english but I think you guys got the point that for some reason this game fails to be swiched from integrated to nvidia gpu when higher then 1200x800 resoliution.
Imortallt

12.05.2015, 08:59

I think that lag while shooting a problem on the server side. But I feel really strange when I read that I have to buy a SSD drive.
REDmartinesartrr

13.05.2015, 12:08

My launcher keeps on having errors trying to update itself and i left it sit for 4 hours and it did nothing it just says,"an error has occurred during checking current version,retrying." idk how to make a complaint so please help.

drug free not me

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Technical