Impressions & Feedback (No Bug Reports)

Discussion of Survarium in the context of the Doors Open Day.

25.04.2014, 10:36

Guess I'll follow the template and list 3 pros and 3 cons.
+
Ballistics etc seems to work somewhat realistically - 1 or 2 shots from the Mosin drops someone in starting gear, the problem is actually hitting them
Terrain looks good and works well for strategic approach instead of CoD style run n' gun
Game overall seems fun, looking forward to freeplay mode

-
Melee attack/CQC doesn't seem to work. Maybe make it different for different weapons, i.e. melee attacking with the Mosin Nagant or SKS(if there is one) uses the bayonet.
JELLYSCREEN. What's wrong with a good old-fashioned health bar?
Insane levels of motion blur make it look like someone smeared my glasses with vaseline every time I turn my head. Luckily it's able to be turned off.

VanyaSpaghetti

25.04.2014, 10:37

VanyaSpaghetti wrote:Guess I'll follow the template and list 3 pros and 3 cons.
+
Ballistics etc seems to work somewhat realistically - 1 or 2 shots from the Mosin drops someone in starting gear, the problem is actually hitting them
Terrain looks good and works well for strategic approach instead of CoD style run n' gun
Game overall seems fun, looking forward to freeplay mode

-
Melee attack/CQC doesn't seem to work. Maybe make it different for different weapons, i.e. melee attacking with the Mosin Nagant or SKS(if there is one) uses the bayonet.
JELLYSCREEN. What's wrong with a good old-fashioned health bar?
Insane levels of motion blur make it look like someone smeared my glasses with vaseline every time I turn my head. Luckily it's able to be turned off.

Disable motion blur in your options menu
joewillburn
Vostok Games

25.04.2014, 10:41

I have tried the mosin and I couldn't hit a hippo if it was standing still with it... I came up behind a guy standing still and try to aim in and shoot and missed...Might just be me lol. I love the other guns though

Nimbos

25.04.2014, 10:42

Just played my first match(finally) and i gotta say, it looks and plays absolutely amazing (even in beta).
Feels like a true STALKER. :)
Vspishka101

25.04.2014, 10:42

CallMeFriendly wrote:I have tried the mosin and I couldn't hit a hippo if it was standing still with it... I came up behind a guy standing still and try to aim in and shoot and missed...Might just be me lol. I love the other guns though

Don't forget you earn XP and can improve your skills.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

25.04.2014, 10:49

joewillburn:

Disable motion blur in your options menu

What about the part where guns shoot jelly instead of bullets? 2cod4me

VanyaSpaghetti

25.04.2014, 10:51

VanyaSpaghetti:
What about the part where guns shoot jelly instead of bullets? 2cod4me

Guns are very effective, keep in mind this isn't COD/BF so armour actually works in this game, you have to aim for weakpoints for maximum effectiveness.
Gamertech
Survivor

25.04.2014, 10:53

I mean that getting shot makes it look like someone smeared strawberry jelly on your glasses. Why not just a health bar or something?

VanyaSpaghetti

25.04.2014, 10:55

VanyaSpaghetti:Why not just a health bar or something?

For the same reason as every other game; it increases immersion by removing abstract elements like bars, numbers, etc.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

25.04.2014, 10:57

VanyaSpaghetti:I mean that getting shot makes it look like someone smeared strawberry jelly on your glasses. Why not just a health bar or something?

Because with a health bar you can't cripple stronger enemies by shooting their legs so they can't run or even stand, or their arms so they cant aim or use equipment. There's a lot more thinking involved than a CoD style HP bar.

Would you prefer to just burn down a health bar of your enemy or kneecap him while he's standing in a timed anomaly that's about to blow?
Gamertech
Survivor

25.04.2014, 10:59

I personally don't play a huge amount of PvP shooters, so I wasn't expecting to get a whole lot out of this. However as a seasoned gamer with a particular fondness for a certain Ukrainian shooter series I felt the need to check out the development of this title.

Server latency was of course a major issue, as was the lack of a musical score (which I expect is still being worked on) and the inabilities to both move at a walking pace and remove the crosshair. Animations, textures and modelling were all great and deserve praise however.

All in all though my very limited experience in playing Survarium's PvP mode was quite dull and completely lacked anything remotely compelling or intriguing. I currently feel no fondness towards this mode and if it were not for the sake of observing development I would not feel the need to continue playing.

Most of my complaints are specific to the PvP mode however and not the game's mechanics. I really do want to see Survarium's universe come to life with mutants, anomalies and roaming factions and hope this game becomes a gem like I'm positive is within Vostok's ability.
Cowlick035

25.04.2014, 11:09

After a couple of Alt+F4's and few crashes my game stucks on loading screen after the log in.

Edit: I still haven't loaded it seems due to high traffic in the server it kicked me out a couple of times like it cant connect to the server
Last edited by spartan347 on 25.04.2014, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
spartan347

25.04.2014, 11:33

Very good first impression.

Ambient: immersive
Graphics: excellent
Gun point: successful balancing, please eliminate crosshair and impact cross
character moving: good, I miss to lean

I'll keep waiting open beta. ;D

(apologies for my English)
ABeyuYU

25.04.2014, 11:57

Cowlick035 wrote:I personally don't play a huge amount of PvP shooters, so I wasn't expecting to get a whole lot out of this. However as a seasoned gamer with a particular fondness for a certain Ukrainian shooter series I felt the need to check out the development of this title.

Server latency was of course a major issue, as was the lack of a musical score (which I expect is still being worked on) and the inabilities to both move at a walking pace and remove the crosshair. Animations, textures and modelling were all great and deserve praise however.

All in all though my very limited experience in playing Survarium's PvP mode was quite dull and completely lacked anything remotely compelling or intriguing. I currently feel no fondness towards this mode and if it were not for the sake of observing development I would not feel the need to continue playing.

Most of my complaints are specific to the PvP mode however and not the game's mechanics. I really do want to see Survarium's universe come to life with mutants, anomalies and roaming factions and hope this game becomes a gem like I'm positive is within Vostok's ability.

That's exactly why we are developing 3 different game modes. Something for everyone! This is merely the beginning!
Last edited by joewillburn on 25.04.2014, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

25.04.2014, 12:48

Nothing good I can say about this game right now! Tried a couple of matches and don't want to play it anymore!!! The gameplay is clunky, sluggish, and laggy! The feel of the gun is horrible, same for the character! The only thing that can sell this game is PWE where you spend most of the time exploring the world rather than fighting other players in competitive way, cuz as a competitive shooter it sucks! Can't compete with other fps games in terms of gameplay! In PWE the world is priority, in PVP the gameplay!

Flamepage

25.04.2014, 12:51

PROS
1) Cool environments and Maps
2) Good art design

CONS
1) So much bugs with the menus
2) Cant run it on high or ultra, bad fps, and i also play battlefield 4 with better fps.
3) Servers too much Lagg, 5-6 seconds Delay, Unplayable. After 2 Games, i close the game.
4) Weapons/sounds are so bad, feels like plastic.

Note: Should remove the crosshair and impact cross if you want a better immersive game

TheLg

25.04.2014, 12:57

TheLg:
Note: Should remove the crosshair and impact cross if you want a better immersive game

I agree with this guy, except hitmarks should stay for gameplay reasons.
Or hitsounds at least :)

TheLg:
2) Cant run it on high or ultra, bad fps, and i also play battlefield 4 with better fps.

The game is NOT optimized yet! Also, turn off motion blur - that's proabably your problem.
TheLg:
3) Servers too much Lagg, 5-6 seconds Delay, Unplayable. After 2 Games, i close the game.

That's becouse the open doors day is a stress test, which means the game is meant to lag so they can test how much pressure can the servers handle atm and how much stress does the game put on a server.
Grephen

25.04.2014, 12:59

Pros:

- Gunplay seems really good
- the mode seems promising
- graphics are good
- maps are really cool
- I didnt have many missions yet, but I like that you have to do them to get access to better weapons

Cons:

- runs really bad
- the crosshair is way to thick imo
- hit indicator is too big/thick
- the sway for rifles/snipers should only appear after sprinting (its a bit too much sway for just walking 2m to the right or left)
- gun sounds seem to be all over the place, at least the once with high fire rate
Azaí

25.04.2014, 13:02

After playing about five or six matches. I have to say that Survarium is everything and more that I would have wanted.

The gun play is great (Bar some of course issues with myself being in the United Kingdom with pocket loss etc but surprisingly still very playable with the server being located in Russia) I've been far enjoying the way you've done regarding hit detection and the overall feel of the weapons.

The RPG system is by far one of the most enjoyable from all the free to play shooters that I've tried. I love the small but overall gain you get from leveling up. The missions that you get from factions generally makes you feel like you are achieving something and I love the fact that you get to even represent them by wearing their gear.

The maps are amazing. Makes me feel like I'm playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R I just love running around and enjoying the world itself.

The Artefacts mechanic is great. I just love running about trying to find artefacts and then using them to my advantage. I found one which but something like an extra 15% damage reduction on my person which in turn helped me in one of my black market missions.

Overall my first impressions have made me want to play this constantly. When I get paid on the 30th I am definitely going to support this game. Thank you for giving us the chance to enjoy ourselves in these small but satisfying 24 hours open day.
Vashyron Hawke

25.04.2014, 13:14

First impressions :

Splash screen ui
- It took me a while to work out how to equip stuff onto my character. I actually even sold all my gear instead of equipping it! Lucky for me it costs 0 to re-buy all the stuff I sold. I would suggest merging the "character" and "equipment" buttons into a single "character" button that shows everything about your guy. Skills, current equipped gear, gear available to buy. All in one place.
- If the character has nothing to equip in a slot, for example I could not equip anything in the clothing slot, the ui should show a short list of the closest things the player is advancing towards for that slot. For example, if the player needs 200 more points to unlock a new jacket, then that should be shown in the ui under the jacket icon.
- Shop ui. When I move my mouse over an item in the shop the game should show a tooltip displaying the items stats without having to click on the item.

Gameplay :

I don't have much to say about the gameplay itself currently as the available mode is not what I am interested in (Free play can't come fast enough! :D) but I was impressed from a technical stand point considering teh stage of the beta. The engine seems to perform well and the graphics are very nice. Something that was missing that I would dearly love to see return are the volumetric light beams from Stalker : CoP for sunlight. Maybe this is set on a per map basis and just isn't in the levels available for play in this beta but I really hope that effect is there in the "full" release.

There didn't seem to be much feedback as to where I have been hit when taking damage. I would really like to see specific sound effects for being hit in the legs/arms/head etc. There is the little ui element showing your body but it is not enough, adding some sound feedback will help a lot I think.

I think the hit indicators are fine for the pvp mode. I really hope they are NOT in co-op and free play though!

Some of the special effects for the anomalies in the maps are very cool, but they look like they are made to only exist in that specific place and cannot move around. I think that there needs to be more dynamic elements in each map that can change how the level plays. People will be playing these levels over and over and over again so the more things that can change and affect gameplay the better! Obvious stuff like time of day setting, but more importantly if the anomalies can move around then the map will be different each time it is played which I think is very important. As it is right now, players will learn where the boundaries of each anomaly in each map is and then they will never get hit by it again.

I think the player characters should yell and shout at each other during gameplay. It is very quiet at the moment when playing in this regard. When the player gets hit they shout at whoever attacked them, and say different things depending on the attackers gender, weapon used, and what faction they are representing. Players should also have a simple to use quick emote system perhaps. For example the F2P game "Tribes : Ascend" has a very cool emote system.

Ok. I cannot think of anything else right now :) I will play some more during the day for sure!
tdDaz

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Return to Doors Open Day