The Fringe Settlers

This section is for discussing the story behind the game and Survarium universe.

10.07.2013, 17:26

The name of the group came from living on the edge of safe-zone; where the spread of the Forest stopped. Up to now, it remains a mystery as to why the Forest stopped. Some believe that "The Fringe Settlers" are one of the reasons. Even before the catastrophe, when the Forest was just beginning to spread, some people believed it necessary to study and not destroy the Forest, to learn to live in harmony with it.

But, their voices were not heard in the boom of the industrial age and they left the city to self-study the strange phenomenon. They gradually adapted to the new conditions of life and when the cloud of spores arose over the Forest, the inhabitants of the Fringe Settlements were prepared.

The fall of civilization has further deepened their beliefs in their own right. Those who live on the fringes are perhaps the only ones who are not afraid to make excursions into the Forest; they value the subtle that exists between the settlement and the Forest.

Residents are reluctant to allow strangers entry, knowing full well that any aggression shown towards the Forest will be returned a hundredfold. Residents believe the settlement to be an "Eden" a special place. Located somewhere deep in the Forest where no thorns, no anomalies or deadly mutants can be found. They believe this is where human civilization will be reborn but that it needs to change and learn to live in harmony, only then will we be allowed to find Eden.
Last edited by joewillburn on 11.07.2013, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

10.07.2013, 17:49

For me this faction looks like most unique and interesting one.
IceFox
Survivor

10.07.2013, 18:29

I find the equipment and weapons most interesting.
Both NATO and Warsaw Pact weapons, Armors especialy for anomolies.
Sound like a lot of artifact hunters are gonna use those armors.
Jäeger
Veteran

10.07.2013, 18:31

So, a semi-religious group of advanced Scavengers who try to reach a coexistance with the woods...
At first, I was like, ok, thats my faction. But I don't know, it seems like they have a lot of faith in the well-nature of the forest... and as long as I don't know how much they exactly now and what is just good faith... I don't know. To me, it seems like the woods, or something within it is conscious. Indicators for that is the aimed attack at the chemical plant that produced herbicides against the woods, and that the forest isn't spreading like indefinitly, but seems to... wait.

So my point is, what if the woods just let the Fringe Settlers come close, so that they have a easier time killing them? As I'm rather sure even the Fringes don't know the exact nature of the woods, we can't preclude that possibility.

On the other hand, at least they seek knowledge about the woods, so I definitely prefer them over the RA.
Enderr

10.07.2013, 19:15

probably the faction im gonna lean most towards, no fear towards the unknown. And less killing on thier mind.
And good weaponary aswell. The only thing not really on my likings is the look, a little scoutish, but it might just have been those few clothes is saw.
But they seem to bring the mysterious things i liked about the story of stalker. The eden for example share similareties with the wish granter and the oasis. Places to good to be true and no one knows if they exist.
Terrox
Survivor

10.07.2013, 19:59

Enderr:a semi-religious

Semi-religious? More like thinkers and scientists, since they study the Forest, not worship it. They are not aggressive towards the forest, because their viewpoint stands on coexistence with and study of the forest and its anomalies - there is no faith or religious elements in its description.

Only through study will they know if it actually is a threat or just a new way of how LIFE works on the Earth.

Enderr:To me, it seems like the woods, or something within it is conscious.

*GASP* The Monsterminds! O_O
We need to find the Ring of the Lightning League to defeat the sentient plant life!

Enderr:So my point is, what if the woods just let the Fringe Settlers come close, so that they have a easier time killing them?

Then why didn't the Forest kill them off when the green apocalypse started? Why ignore them? They were right there! Just outside the door!
Nope, it decided to attack the people waaaaaaay farther, over in the cities. If the Forest was serious in exterminating humanity the TFS would be the first to be DEVOUERED by mutants and anomalous plant life. From what I deduce from the description of the faction, they were the only ones that were not affected as much as the rest of the world.
Last edited by BlaineCraner on 10.07.2013, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
BlaineCraner

10.07.2013, 20:07

BlaineCraner:Semi-religious? More like thinkers and scientists, since they study the Forest, not worship it. They are not aggressive towards the forest, because they their viewpoint stands on the coexistence with and study of the forest and its anomalies - there is no faith or religious elements in its description.

http://survarium.com/en/news/new-screen ... s-revealed
Look at the picture. He's praying.

BlaineCraner:Enderr:So my point is, what if the woods just let the Fringe Settlers come close, so that they have a easier time killing them?

Then why didn't the Forest kill them off when the green apocalypse started? Why ignore them? They were right there! Just outside the door!
Nope, it decided to attack the people waaaaaaay farther, over in the cities. If the Forest was serious in exterminating humanity the TFS would be the first to be DEVOUERED by mutants and anomalous plant life. From what I deduce from the description of the faction, they were the only ones that were not affected as much as the rest of the world.

As I said, I think something within the forest is conscious. Probably it knows its strength well enough to reallize that it couldn't devour humanity as a whole at once, and decided to let the Fringes try and convince what is left of humanity to lay down their weapons, so that its easier to crush them. Or if that ain't possible, let the RA and FS kill each other over what to do.

EDIT: Though I don't say that has to be the case, but it's possible, and I first want to know a bit more about the forest before deciding anything.
Last edited by Enderr on 10.07.2013, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.
Enderr

10.07.2013, 21:02

I think their weapons and gear will be quite useful for sniping... if the colour of gear stay aprox the same.
Maeda

10.07.2013, 21:23

Enderr:http://survarium.com/en/news/new-screen ... s-revealed
Look at the picture. He's praying.

Not to me. I've seen people pray in many (sometimes ridiculous) places every Sunday for the half of my life. That there on the picture is just checking the ground because an old idol has been overgrown. There are no religious fetishes (items, not kinky stuff) since what we see is a Slavic version of a garden gnome (decoration, nothing more) nor is he presented praying verbally. For all we know he's just checking the soil around an anomaly. The picture only presents their supposed peaceful nature.

Besides, we should base our info on actual written data and not on vague interpretations of a picture.

Buuut... you got me thinking about the religious thing. In Slavic mythology there are two old deities. One good -Belobog (The White God, the god of light), and one evil - Chernobog (The Black God, the god of darkness). Both of which are strongly connected with the seasons, wildlife and... well... FORESTS.

So, maybe the thing behind the Forest is a old Slavic GOD that has awoken from its slumber? (edit) Or maybe even TWO? Creepy.

Enderr:As I said, I think something within the forest is conscious. Probably it knows its strength well enough to reallize that it couldn't devour humanity as a whole at once, and decided to let the Fringes try and convince what is left of humanity to lay down their weapons, so that its easier to crush them. Or if that ain't possible, let the RA and FS kill each other over what to do.

Aaaand that's why we will have an awesome struggle in the world of Survarium. Opinions concerning the unknown Forest. ^^

Edit: After viewing the Dev Diary it seems they treat the aspect of survival with religious awe. So THAT is their religion. Huh, interesting.
Last edited by BlaineCraner on 10.07.2013, 21:54, edited 2 times in total.
BlaineCraner

11.07.2013, 08:08

Wood burns, wood splinters, wood rots. RA for EVER. The true defenders of the mother land!
Ageoffan

11.07.2013, 12:30

Does anyone know if they'll enlist only scavengers?
l0ner

11.07.2013, 12:38

Faxxy:Does anyone know if they'll enlist only scavengers?

Survarium Facebook Page:- Will the Fringe Settlers enlist only Scavengers or?
- You'll have to wait and see :)

Joe likes to tease a lot.
Last edited by Nexolate on 11.07.2013, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

11.07.2013, 12:44

I asked that question on facebook. Fahret. F. Fijuljanin
he really does

Edit: CONCRETE BREAKS.
Last edited by l0ner on 11.07.2013, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
l0ner

11.07.2013, 18:07

Enderr:As I said, I think something within the forest is conscious. Probably it knows its strength well enough to reallize that it couldn't devour humanity as a whole at once, and decided to let the Fringes try and convince what is left of humanity to lay down their weapons, so that its easier to crush them. Or if that ain't possible, let the RA and FS kill each other over what to do.

EDIT: Though I don't say that has to be the case, but it's possible, and I first want to know a bit more about the forest before deciding anything.

Thats the only thing that makes me "worried" about them. That it might be that they're killed by thier own belifes, kinda like those crazy religious people that die in movies.
Terrox
Survivor

11.07.2013, 20:48

Ageoffan:Wood burns, wood splinters, wood rots. RA for EVER. The true defenders of the mother land!

You, Sir are gonna taste NATO when im finished with you! >:D
Faxxy:Does anyone know if they'll enlist only scavengers?

What do you mean by that? We dont join factions, We earn reputation.
Jäeger
Veteran

11.07.2013, 22:22

A small correction: Both nato and Warsaw Pact

You don't say. One of the Survarium Team members said that one of the future factions (before announcing the Fringe Settlers) will ENLIST ONLY SCAVENGERS.
l0ner

12.07.2013, 08:55

Faxxy:A small correction: Both nato and Warsaw Pact

SVD in the one hand and L115a1 in the other ^^
Enderr

12.07.2013, 17:12

Enderr:
SVD in the one hand and L115a1 in the other ^^

Killer combo:D
l0ner

12.07.2013, 20:09

Settlers seem like hippies to me and life in a Fringe settlement seems very restricted.
Like, "I can't use the generator, becouse if i will, that tree next to me will slap meh'!"

That was an example :D
Grephen

12.07.2013, 23:39

However they are interesting you must admit
l0ner

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Story