Survarium 0.57 Preview

Discussion of the latest news and events related to Survarium.

08.02.2019, 17:25

Hi everyone! It’s been over a month since the release of the previous big Survarium update, and it’s time to share with you what’s coming in Survarium 0.57.

A New Weapon for the Renaissance Army

As a result of the holiday Faction Challenge event we promised to implement a new weapon for the winning faction, and what suits the Army better than a legendary AKMSU weapon? Legendary in a sense that the weapon is not in the GRAU index, and only a few actual copies of the weapon exist, one of those being in the Royal Armouries Collection. Some people think this weapon never existed (as a piece intended for use in the Soviet Army) and was made in Pakistan or Afghanistan. Some people think this is a secret rifle that failed to pass the tests. Anyway, even if it’s a myth, the weapon will make it into Survarium.

The choice of weapon is also largely attributed to the fact we’ve wanted to introduce new types of modules into the game for a long time. And so these modules fit other weapons, we chose the AKMSU as a piece that has some cool looking parts which could fit other AK rifles. Among these modules will be the following: extended magazine, pistol grip, light-weight bolt carrier group, charging handle and buttstock.

The Extended magazine increases the number of bullets, but reduces reload speed. The Light-weight bolt carrier group increases rate of fire and recoil. The Buttstock reduces recoil and increases spread when firing from the hip. These are only examples, we will have other new modules in Survarium 0.57. Also keep in mind that parameters of the modules can be changed based on the PTS testing, or in one of the upcoming Survarium patches and balancing updates.

Balance Changes

Since we are talking about balance, we want to make some changes to the parameters of some weapon types, because even after increasing recoil when using x6/x8 optical sights, assault rifles are still very popular across all tiers of equipment. We would like to see you using a larger variety of weapons in Survarium, so we will be decreasing effective distance of assault rifles and increasing pistol damage.

We are also looking into increasing effective distance of submachine guns and shotguns, but first we’d like to see if reducing effective distance of assault rifles is enough. After all, we do not want to go from one extreme to the other (veteran players should remember when everyone used to play with a shotgun).

The changes will also be made to some of the less frequently used supplies. In addition to its current effects (reducing bleeding damage and stopping power affecting your character), Anesthetic will provide total immunity to fractures. Duration will be unchanged: 10 seconds. Moreover, Anesthetic could become more useful because we will introduce new skills which increase effectiveness of traps, mines and grenades.

Technical Skill Tree

We announced two more skill trees in addition to the three existing ones a few years ago, but the team always had tasks with more priority. Well, enough is enough: it’s time to finally spice up the game with some new skills!

While designing the new skill tree, our goal was to come up with more interesting abilities than simply increasing a characteristic by 1%. Of course, not all technical skills will introduce new gameplay mechanics, but we tried to create enough abilities that do. Some of them may seem too strong (and they probably are), so we are going to change them based on the PTS test results. Additionally, expect more balancing and fine tuning after the skill tree hits the public server.

Please see the examples of new abilities below.

The Last Chance. If you have a grenade, you will drop it upon death. The grenade explodes dealing reduced damage (compared to usual grenade damage). More points in the skill increase the damage.

Capacitor M2. Upon destroying an anomaly with a capacitor, you will pick up the artifact (if you have space in the backpack).

Experienced Sapper. Your character does not activate allied traps and mines.

Metal Detector. Enemy traps, mines, C-4 and grenades are highlighted in radius (meters). More points in the skill increase the radius.

Jagged Edges. Traps, mines and C-4 always cause bleeding.

Updated Grenade Smoke and Other Improvements

We continue to work on the new renderer, and one of the most prominent changes will be a new visualization of the smoke grenade particles. The smoke is darker and more dense, so it’s possible to spot other characters in the smoke only at the distance of a few meters. We are also fixing a few annoying UI issues causing incorrect display of players post-match and various bugs with the loading screen.

These are only some of the upcoming new features and improvements. We will publish the full list of changes in Survarium 0.57 shortly before the update is released to the public server. We plan to have testing on the Public Test Server next week to gather your feedback about the skill tree and balance changes.

Stay tuned for more news next week!
Last edited by joewillburn on 20.02.2019, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 18:21

no't sure decreasing assault rifle effective range and increasing SMG range is the solution. Right now SMG are better choice for close range than shotguns. In gamebalance perspective i suggest make shottys kings of close range. SMG have high spread of bullets so they are not effective at aiming long range targets you can actually do now but would be decent at low to medium distance. Assaults could be the medium to high and limit close range effectivness by pulling your gun up if close to wall or smth like some games do.

There was a time few years ago where everyone were using only SMG cause they were as accurate as assaults but had lower recoil and higher rate of fire. Im having some bad deja vu vibes atm.

Also - wasnt it told us that the whole skill system would be redone to faction specific or smth.....
Last edited by s0mething on 08.02.2019, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
s0mething

08.02.2019, 18:41

Please don't forget the winchester.
ike07

08.02.2019, 18:46

Regarding new skill tree... How are you gonna allocate skill points? Removing some from first 3 groups or making new ones available in some way like making more prestige levels available for level up?
Last edited by happy shooter on 08.02.2019, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

happy shooter

08.02.2019, 19:30

happy shooter wrote:Regarding new skill tree... How are you gonna allocate skill points? Removing some from first 3 groups or making new ones available in some way like making more prestige levels available for level up?

We won't be resetting skills. Currently you need 60+ points to unlock all tiers in all trees and around 120 points to unlock all skills. So with the new tree you won't have all skills at least.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 19:30

ike07 wrote:Please don't forget the winchester.

Yes but not in 0.57 unfortunately.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 20:13

s0mething wrote:no't sure decreasing assault rifle effective range and increasing SMG range is the solution. Right now SMG are better choice for close range than shotguns. In gamebalance perspective i suggest make shottys kings of close range. SMG have high spread of bullets so they are not effective at aiming long range targets you can actually do now but would be decent at low to medium distance. Assaults could be the medium to high and limit close range effectivness by pulling your gun up if close to wall or smth like some games do.

There was a time few years ago where everyone were using only SMG cause they were as accurate as assaults but had lower recoil and higher rate of fire. Im having some bad deja vu vibes atm.

Also - wasnt it told us that the whole skill system would be redone to faction specific or smth.....

We said in the preview we want to avoid extremes. If we knew what to change, we'd have done it already.
This is an iterative process and we will be making small changes and checking how those change the balance.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 20:23

I don't like the idea of not triggering friendly mines, that could lead to situations where you could effectively prevent the enemy from getting to, while your team could just walk right through it.
In the fort, for example, you could easily cut off sections of the map for the enemy, but not for your own team. I think it would mess up the balance too much
Scaramanga

08.02.2019, 20:37

joewillburn:

We said in the preview we want to avoid extremes. If we knew what to change, we'd have done it already.
This is an iterative process and we will be making small changes and checking how those change the balance.

What about the talk about remaking all the skills faction specific. Is that still a thing?

I was really glad when it was talked about. I like hard choices.
s0mething

08.02.2019, 21:09

Scaramanga wrote:I don't like the idea of not triggering friendly mines, that could lead to situations where you could effectively prevent the enemy from getting to, while your team could just walk right through it.
In the fort, for example, you could easily cut off sections of the map for the enemy, but not for your own team. I think it would mess up the balance too much

Not everyone will have all skills maxed. Anyway, if some of these skills need adjustment, of course we will take action.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 21:11

s0mething wrote:What about the talk about remaking all the skills faction specific.

I don't remember that ever being a thing. But maybe I forgot. So much information passes through me it is hard to remember all. But I will say that, according to current skill-tree objectives, I do not see it being faction specific in the future. I could be wrong though as plans are often changed.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

08.02.2019, 23:32

Make snipers have extreme movement inaccuracy or just reduce the damage they deal to stop this instakilling crap
Kube

09.02.2019, 10:08

And what about Max's idea about replacing current skills tree to Perk system? Becouse now new players are in bad position - not only they have to grind gear/modules but also they must put huge amount of hours to lvl up their character
slear

09.02.2019, 12:33

Lets just give the AFK SNIPERS MORE ADVANTAGE!!! YOU MESS WITH EVERYTHING BUT THEM..ALWAYS THE SAME.FAST SCOPING INSTANT KILLS ARE A BLOODY JOKE AND ITS TIME IT WAS STOPPED.ASSAULT RIFLES ARE PERFECT NOW but I guess you want us to spend on redoing upgrades.
Last edited by Who shot the barman on 09.02.2019, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Who shot the barman

09.02.2019, 12:35

Just lookin up the updates, nothing new to the game, just the old "balancing n' stuff", yeah the a pve looks great, but the playerbase is nothing.

I remember the old survarium was pretty good at the gunplay, actually i laughed my ass off when i seen the "no call of duty gunplay update" and when i fired up the game... it was really bad cod like gunplay..

Everyone got this game put back into the "shelf" waiting for some miracle to happen..

Good luck devs, community.
Cpriaty

09.02.2019, 13:14

- Will you have a pts before upgrad?
- What about the new mod search and destroy, will it be in that upgrad?
- What about ranking match?
- Will this awful new map will be finish?
- What about the reward of PVE, will tier 5 equipment will be back?
- Did you find idea to make the battery mod more attractive?
William-g

09.02.2019, 16:27

If they do a PTS they will split the playerbase and the matchmaking will be slowest.
ike07

09.02.2019, 17:44

ike07:If they do a PTS they will split the playerbase and the matchmaking will be slowest.

No, because only few players use pts now.
William-g

09.02.2019, 20:23

William-g:- Will you have a pts before upgrad?

Yes.
Chandrian
Supermoderator
Survivor

10.02.2019, 12:35

I understand your wish to have people use a wider variety of weapons, but making SMGs into rifles is not the answer. I'm not sure I agree with the distance nerf on assault rifles either, I'd much rather see muzzle velocities decreased so I can't obliterate people across the map in 3 bullets with 0 effort. Metal detector also seems incredibly powerful, mines and all that other stuff already have counterplay options in the form of scanners, this will simply free up an inventory slot for something else making veteran players even more fearsome combatants.
Last edited by Konstantyn on 10.02.2019, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Konstantyn

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to News