Survarium Update 0.52 Preview

Discussion of the latest news and events related to Survarium.

13.03.2018, 17:21

Hi Everyone!

In the recent podcast with developers we shared what the Survarium team has been busy with and what changes could be expected in near future. So now it is time to talk in more detail about the upcoming update. Read the preview of Survarium’s Update 0.52 and find out what key changes we have made & what will be available in the game soon!

Transition to the New Graphics Renderer

This change was announced long ago and took several years to develop. Finally, in Update 0.52 we are migrating to the new graphics renderer! This means we are not only adding extra functionality for the new renderer, but also discontinue the support of the old one. & subsequently remove it from the game.

Our goal was to improve the quality of graphics in the game, while boosting the performance on most systems. In the case you used the renderer for gaming PCs, the new renderer will see your performance improved. If you used the renderer for low-end PCs and you have a (separate) video card, the performance is expected to be approximately the same level. Finally, if you used the renderer for low-end PCs and you have a built-in video card the level of Intel HD 4000, you will have an improved quality image, but the performance could decrease.

To ensure the transition to the new renderer we have accomplished a massive chunk of work: rearranged the lighting on all the game maps, as well as replaced and readjusted the materials on all the weapons. Unfortunately, not all the materials on the characters have been updated yet, therefore certain gear is not at its final quality (for instance, metal on characters will look rusty) - we will fix those minor elements with the subsequent Survarium patches.

Of course, changes of the caliber as described above require meticulous testing on the computers of all possible configurations, therefore we invite you to play on public test server as soon as the new game version is available. With your help we will be able to achieve the best possible quality with the release of Update 0.52.

It should be noted that the new graphics renderer does not contain all the functionality we would like it to have as yet. Currently in the works are a number of visual effects - ambient occlusion, post-processes, god rays, lens flares, motion blur, 4k & more. We will be adding those to the game as & when they are ready. We will also keep optimizing the existing functionality.

St. Patrick’s Day in Survarium

In Update
0.52 we are preparing a new in-game event dedicated to St. Patrick’s Day! On this occasion, expect to see not only new themed weapons and gear, but also a special map with a new game mode! More details about the in-game event to be shared after the launch of 0.52.

Upgrading The Weapons Module System

Since the introduction of the new weapons module system in Update 0.50 we received multiple ideas and requests as to how the system could be further developed in the game. One of the ideas relates to the possibility of stacking modules by the players to create rarer modules with improved characteristics. So we decided to enable this feature for you!

In Update 0.52 you’ll be able to upgrade characteristics of a module using five other modules of the same level of rarity. The improvement will have a 50% success rate as with other upgrades. With additional payment of in-game silver or gold you’ll be able to improve the module with 100% success.

Since the new renderer and the launch of the St.Patrick’s Day in-game event are the top priorities for us right now, chances are the modules improvement feature could appear in the game a bit later, for example with 0.52b, however not later than a few weeks after the release of 0.52. These are all the key changes awaiting you in Update 0.52. As usual, we will add a number of smaller improvements which we will disclose at the launch of the update.
Last edited by joewillburn on 20.04.2018, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Андрияш Козловский

13.03.2018, 17:35

Where are the new weapons? Where is the new faction? where is the extra content? This game is boring now. Give even more levels of characters. 101,102 etc.

MP5 Again ?? WHY ??? There are so many interesting weapons. Why is MP5 once again?
Last edited by Emto on 13.03.2018, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Emto

13.03.2018, 17:53

Emto wrote:Give even more levels of characters. 101,102 etc.

The skill and leveling system is under a complete redesign.

Emto wrote:Where are the new weapons?

There will be various weapons available as part of the event.

Emto wrote:where is the extra content?

A whole new location just for an in-game event, weapons for said event a a new visual renderer and other features we have not yet mentioned all count as content. At least, in my opinion :)
joewillburn
Vostok Games

13.03.2018, 17:54

Андрияш Козловский:
Upgrading The Weapons Module System

Since the introduction of the new weapons module system in Update 0.50 we received multiple ideas and requests as to how the system could be further developed in the game. One of the ideas relates to the possibility of stacking modules by the players to create rarer modules with improved characteristics. So we decided to enable this feature for you!

In Update 0.52 you’ll be able to upgrade characteristics of a module using five other modules of the same level of rarity. The improvement will have a 50% success rate as with other upgrades. With additional payment of in-game silver or gold you’ll be able to improve the module with 100% success.

Sounds good!

Five same modules means: (with same rarity of course)
-five 2X scope
-five 2X scope of the same kind
???

What happens if i fail to upgrade the modules? All of them down the drain?

I remember back then there was a module colour (rarity display) problem. Isn't that will make some confusion?
daniel0615

13.03.2018, 18:10

Андрияш Козловский:In Update 0.52 you’ll be able to upgrade characteristics of a module using five other modules of the same level of rarity. The improvement will have a 50% success rate as with other upgrades. With additional payment of in-game silver or gold you’ll be able to improve the module with 100% success.

Андрияш Козловский:The improvement will have a 50% success rate as with other upgrades.

Андрияш Козловский:will have a 50% success rate

Андрияш Козловский:a 50% success rate

Андрияш Козловский:50%

No no no no no, please not! Just bite back doing this, this time. I'm begging you. We all know how this ends: "Hmm a 50% chance? Alright let's do it"... 1. attempt failed; 2. attempt failed; 3. attempt failed; no more modules... "ladies and gentlemen this is a perfect 50% chance!" Let's learn from the past, and simply make an upgrade require 10 modules (which still kinda hurts) without any chance to fail.
jule

13.03.2018, 18:14

joewillburn:There will be various weapons available as part of the event.

New weapons. And not once again the skins for weapons. Where is AK9? Where is SVDK? Where is AK-108? Each of these weapons has been mentioned many times. And they are still not there.

joewillburn:The skill and leveling system is under a complete redesign.

For the last three years, I have already had a 100 level character. I have all factions forced out. I have bought everything and I have 100 million silver in the game. Enter more character levels, Introduce new factions.

joewillburn:A whole new location just for an in-game event, weapons for said event a a new visual renderer and other features we have not yet mentioned all count as content. At least, in my opinion :)

A new render that does not have most functions to start. Why introduce it if it will not be there?
New location and mode. Probably it will be a copy of the map from the New Year's event. I'm wrong ?
Emto

13.03.2018, 18:34

It's all fun and all, but can VG please include screenshots of things in upcoming updates that actually matter. The highlight of 0.52 is the upgrade of new renderer, but we get exactly 0 PREVIEW of it and instead get 2 screens of a hat and another mp5 (cmon guys, there are plenty of weapons without a single skin).

The crafting seems fine, especially with the addition of paying silver for 100% chance, but the bigger problem is useless/illogical stats on those modules. You are applying a band-aid instead of going to the hospital and actually fixing the problem. I presume vertical grips/fooking laser sights/half of attachments on sniper rifles shall remain useless, am I right ?
UnknownPlayer666

13.03.2018, 18:38

There are no screenshots because at first new renderer will be a downgrade in graphic quality. I hope it will hit rock bottom and from now on, the graphic quality will only increase. But in 0.52, it will miss functions that are standard for long years.

I really hope Reshade will have an access to depth buffer in new renderer, so maybe I could fix lack of built in AO with MXAO.
Last edited by yaji on 13.03.2018, 18:41, edited 3 times in total.

yaji

13.03.2018, 18:43

joewillburn:
A whole new location just for an in-game event, weapons for said event a a new visual renderer and other features we have not yet mentioned all count as content. At least, in my opinion :)

There is going to be the option of have again that location as a new map as the mall?? And where is the new mall??

And the new texture pack come with this???
Dinoh55

13.03.2018, 18:46

yaji:There are no screenshots because at first new renderer will be a downgrade in graphic quality. I hope it will hit rock bottom and from now on, the graphic quality will only increase. But in 0.52, it will miss functions that are standard for long years.

I really hope Reshade will have an access to depth buffer in new renderer, so maybe I could fix lack of built in AO with MXAO.

Comparing old to new, yes maybe it will be a downgrade. But I'm looking from the perspective of current version of new renderer to the upcoming upgrade of new renderer. There is no way it will look worse than it already is :D
UnknownPlayer666

13.03.2018, 19:25

hmmmm...5 might be a tad too excessive.

Anyways, I find it rather silly that this preview doesn't show a before-after picture of the renderer.

Somewhat confused with another iteration of the MP5 since it was used 2 events ago

Anyways, I will use this time ot make a small announcement of my own:

With this update, for the first time, Koala the 25th will make a new update: Update 0.52 without the bullshit. I'll keep you all posted
Last edited by colers25 on 13.03.2018, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
colers25

13.03.2018, 19:32

colers25:
Anyways, I will use this time ot make a small announcement of my own:
With this update, for the first time, Koala the 25th will make a new update: Update 0.52 without the bullshit. I'll keep you all posted

very noice
UnknownPlayer666

13.03.2018, 19:37

colers25 wrote:Anyways, I find it rather silly that this preview doesn't show a before-after picture of the renderer.

Delaying the preview for a screenshot seems unreasonable to us. Players will get to test the new renderer on the PTS and improvements will be made before the release of 52. So anything shown would be obsolete by then. We expect that at launch the new renderer won't look more impressive than the current gaming one, apart from things like the texture streaming issue resolved etc. We need to test the stability of the renderer on a wide range of systems and then we can start adding the eye-candy.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

13.03.2018, 19:52

joewillburn:

Delaying the preview for a screenshot seems unreasonable to us. Players will get to test the new renderer on the PTS and improvements will be made before the release of 52. So anything shown would be obsolete by then. We expect that at launch the new renderer won't look more impressive than the current gaming one, apart from things like the texture streaming issue resolved etc. We need to test the stability of the renderer on a wide range of systems and then we can start adding the eye-candy.

Okay; the preview has been released. How about we take the 10 minutes to make screenshots and show them to the community who plays the game and will be seeing the changes themselves.

A common tactic in game marketing is withholding visuals if they show something worse. An easy solution is to admit or show visuals to the contrary, although the latter has been difficult for Survarium considering visual loss has been the norm for several years now.

joewillburn:apart from things like the texture streaming issue resolved

I don't think Dima ever confirmed this was a problem when spoken to. But it has been one of the main explanations for the loss of visuals in the game. Why the inconsistency?

joewillburn:We need to test the stability of the renderer on a wide range of systems and then we can start adding the eye-candy.

Why was the eye candy removed when in 2013 and 2014 the game was more stable than it is currently and had such eye candy?
Last edited by chicken_feet on 13.03.2018, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
chicken_feet

13.03.2018, 20:24

chicken_feet wrote:I don't think Dima ever confirmed this was a problem when spoken to. But it has been one of the main explanations for the loss of visuals in the game. Why the inconsistency?

Dima is well aware of the streaming bug in the OLD renderer. I've spoken to him about it multiple times. It was not addressed as the plan was to migrate away from that version renderer anyway.

chicken_feet wrote:Why was the eye candy removed when in 2013 and 2014 the game was more stable than it is currently and had such eye candy?

I myself have asked this time and time again. Apart from paralax mapping the only thing that was changed was lighting Of course different grass was added etc. But, I've been assured countless times by our artists that no major features were deactivated etc and that it is all down to lighting. Now, of course no one will believe that but it is what it is. Anyway, this is a moot point. The renderer is gone.

As for the game being more stable in 2013/2014 that is categorically not true.

Edit: I'm not sure why everyone is crying out like some major injustice has been done. Everyone will get to play on the renderer and we've stated in the preview not to expect anything incredible at first launch. The point is to complete the migration and then deliver the candy that (I want just as much) the players are after.

I suggest to those of you who are not clear on the procedure to take a moment to listen to our Podcast with Dima as he goes into great detail about both the old and new renders
Last edited by joewillburn on 13.03.2018, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

13.03.2018, 21:15

Will we have parallax mapping in new renderer eventually? Or maybe displacement mapping, tessellation?
Last edited by yaji on 13.03.2018, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

yaji

13.03.2018, 21:24

Can you PLEASE bring back the original NY2018 A-545 skin? I waited years for a skin to be made for that gun. I spent time, and gold to get the skin during the New years event. I was very very happy with it until you ninja changed it over night, into a crazy Christmas tree design. The black/ice pattern was perfect. I understand many players may not care as much as I do about it, but it really bummed me out over the wait, investment, and surprise change.
Shakhnovsky

13.03.2018, 22:19

yaji wrote:Will we have parallax mapping in new renderer eventually? Or maybe displacement mapping, tessellation?

All those are planned, yes.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

13.03.2018, 22:26

Cool, maybe it will be worth to wait :)

yaji

14.03.2018, 00:29

Can we except this update to be live till the end of this week? St. Patrick's Day is on Saturday and except other special events like Christmas one, this is basically just a one day think and most of online games that were planning something special about it already implemented it into the gameplay. I'm not sure if the event starting somewhere next week and lasting a week or so could create some special atmosphere, especially for Eastern community where this holiday is not so well known as in UK or Commonwealth in general.
spinach

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to News