Survarium: New Year Diary

Discussion of the latest news and events related to Survarium.

29.12.2016, 18:46

With the late December there comes a traditional time to round up the year passing by and build the plans for future. Within the past 12 months we have paid a lot of efforts to polishing the technical side of the game and developing the PvP-part of Survarium. Thus, we introduced the new graphics renderer for low-end PCs, pixel-perfect hit registration, pingless network synchronization, multiple improvements to the game’s performance and stability. A key step towards the fair play in Survarium was made with the integration of BattlEye anti-cheat service.

Among the key gameplay innovations there have been weapon modules, Artifact Hunt mode, tactical supplies, quick commands with voiceover, new user interface, changes in the Leagues system, daily quests and login rewards, as well as new weapons, in particularly pistols that we have focused on in the last few updates. Adding AI-controlled characters (bots) was yet another important step to have the project progress.

All those changes allow us build ambitious plans for the future of Survarium.

Having finalized the work on update 0.45 we got down to forming the development plans and priorities for the next year. Heated discussions are still going, but the top priority tasks have already been defined. Here’s the list:

Rebalancing weapons and gear

We want to bring the game weapons and gear to a simpler structure and make it more transparent to the players. For example, to implement a predictable scatter of fire, the more vividly defined classes of armor, make the gear weight impact the speed of movement more and so on. Additionally, we plan to reduce the overall number of equipment tiers in the game, which will not only provide more variations within each particular tier, but will also ensure faster match-making.

Modifying the system of anomalies and artifacts

We have received so many requests to revert to the old anomalies in the game that we cannot, but satisfy. We want to find the right balance between the use of static and dynamic anomalies, while ensuring they are correctly written into the canvas of the game in terms of balance between the opposing teams. In parallel to the changes in anomalies we also plan to revamp the characteristics and features of the artifacts, so as to make them more influencing the gameplay.

Co-op

We haven’t forgotten and realize how important it is to develop new possibilities for the players, the traditional PvP modes aside. As first step, making use of the computer opponents, we would like to provide you with co-op missions playthrough on the dedicated maps. Further on, we plan to improve the abilities of the AI characters and add new types of NPCs, including animals and mutants, which will allow us improving the PvE component in the future.

System of skills and talents

We plan to redesign the current system of character skills to make the talent effects more sizeable, on one hand, and to make the factions differ more from each other, on the other one. Therefore, we plan to implement both universal skills for all the characters, so as individual ones, available purely with specific factions.

Advanced system of weapons modules

The system of weapons modification with modules has been a welcome addition with the players, so we’d like to expand the possibilities in that area. This relates as to increasing the overall number of weapon modules available, so as to changing the system of bonuses the modules deliver.

New weapons and gear, new maps

Of course, we couldn’t do without such things, so we are going to integrate those as our resources permit.

These are the key changes to Survarium we plan to make within the coming year. Further details on each of the features listed and more can be expected as we get to implementing those in-game.

On behalf of Vostok Games team let us share our sincere Thank You for supporting Survarium. May sound health, inspiration, joy and, of course, good luck in the battle abide with you!

Happy New Year 2017 and have a great holiday season!
Андрияш Козловский
Vostok Games

29.12.2016, 19:13

it's holiday season, i don't want to ruin it by asking about freeplay. nice dev diary
Bullseye2

29.12.2016, 19:21

Андрияш Козловский:
Co-op

We haven’t forgotten and realize how important it is to develop new possibilities for the players, the traditional PvP modes aside. As first step, making use of the computer opponents, we would like to provide you with co-op missions playthrough on the dedicated maps. Further on, we plan to improve the abilities of the AI characters and add new types of NPCs, including animals and mutants, which will allow us improving the PvE component in the future.

In 2017?

Андрияш Козловский:

We have received so many requests to revert to the old anomalies in the game that we cannot, but satisfy. We want to find the right balance between the use of static and dynamic anomalies, while ensuring they are correctly written into the canvas of the game in terms of balance between the opposing teams. In parallel to the changes in anomalies we also plan to revamp the characteristics and features of the artifacts, so as to make them more influencing the gameplay.

Bring us back electrical and chemical anomalies. It was great idea for a specific maps. Now those elements like generators near "Vostok" radar or garage also on this map are useless. Those are only visual elements, nothing more :(
_-Albi-_

29.12.2016, 19:23

Nice plans,quite curious how they gonna look in action.

Midori Fuse

29.12.2016, 19:25

o7
Diegtiarov

29.12.2016, 19:33

We plan to redesign the current system of character skills to make the talent effects more sizeable, on one hand, and to make the factions differ more from each other, on the other one. Therefore, we plan to implement both universal skills for all the characters, so as individual ones, available purely with specific factions.

I hope this doesn't bring limitations of skills that can be equipped in player with all faction points unlocked.
K3lvin

29.12.2016, 20:00

Could we know what's your top priority right now or what's the first thing of the list that we'll see?
Chandrian
Survivor
Supertester

29.12.2016, 20:15

I like the idea to have less tiers.

Bringing back static anomalies, ye.

Improved skills and talents, woo.
pRopaaNS

29.12.2016, 20:54

Андрияш Козловский:Further on, we plan to improve the abilities of the AI characters and add new types of NPCs, including animals and mutants

This is the only part I'm actually excited of. Everything else I kind of "knew" was going to change, I mean it's happening as I predicted/hoped and of course I'm happy about those too.
But even a small mention of mutants makes my heart beat a bit faster. :)

Oh, found another part that warms my heart:
Андрияш Козловский:Heated discussions are still going

I've been fearing that there might not be enough communication between devs, but I'm very glad to hear that I have nothing to fear. Also shows that they still have much interest in this project.

Tsjuder

29.12.2016, 21:06

very nice plan keep up VG ...
AKIRA7666

29.12.2016, 21:30

Pls more info about co-op... Great work!
Langdale90

29.12.2016, 22:09

Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see mutants and balancing of weapons and more modifications

PS: Nerf the f@€k out of Barrett.
Yeti

29.12.2016, 22:22

DEVS R U SERIOUS ABOUT STATIC ANOMALIES??????
ANSWER PLEASE
da_capo

30.12.2016, 01:51

These´re great plans. And we players have lots of questions about them.

1. What´s the major priority of the points mentioned above?

2. Will the modifiers finally affect the weight of the weapons and so their behavior?

3. What´re you improving right now in the AI? Will you implement the mutants into PvP for testing purposes? (If yes, it´s an interesting point as they will be additional hazards and improve the atmosphere imo)

4. Talking about hazards: What exactly´re the plans for anomalies? Will you fuse the static ones with the dynamic ones or introduce something other/ new (e.g. the storm as a cyclic event which changes locations of anomalies like in some Stalker mods)?

5. What´s the eta on reaching above mentioned points?

6. How long will the PvP development last?
RiotOfDoom
Survivor

30.12.2016, 05:05

Андрияш Козловский:Additionally, we plan to reduce the overall number of equipment tiers in the game, which will not only provide more variations within each particular tier, but will also ensure faster match-making.

I love this one. We really don't need 10 Tiers. 5-6 is enough IMHO.
aZERO77

30.12.2016, 06:05

Oh look. VG actually did a lot of things in this year. Hopefully the people who scream: "they do nothing" will shut up.

Atomfritz

30.12.2016, 08:02

Yeah, static anomalies and mutants sounds good. Keep up the good work VG!
Deathclaw BG

30.12.2016, 11:39

Андрияш Козловский:

All those changes allow us build ambitious plans for the future of Survarium.

Having finalized the work on update 0.45 we got down to forming the development plans and priorities for the next year. Heated discussions are still going, but the top priority tasks have already been defined. Here’s the list:

Rebalancing weapons and gear

We want to bring the game weapons and gear to a simpler structure and make it more transparent to the players. For example, to implement a predictable scatter of fire, the more vividly defined classes of armor, make the gear weight impact the speed of movement more and so on. Additionally, we plan to reduce the overall number of equipment tiers in the game, which will not only provide more variations within each particular tier, but will also ensure faster match-making.

OH YES MA BOIS.

Though, i do hope you lads understand that if the balance will be 1-4 5-7 8-10 y'all better give us an Stg44 for tier 1 so everyone has an AR to compete with the AK right out of the door.

Андрияш Козловский:

Co-op

Shit, let me get some new trousers before I continue the praise.

Андрияш Козловский:

Not 100% sure about this one; i enjoy the idea of factions being relevant even when you unlocked everything, and god knows the system needs a rework, but on the other hand didn't we scale down the effects for a reason, what with there being 4 layers of variables; skills, gloves, weapon mods, weapon attachments, allowing at least the firearms tree to stack up too hard?

Андрияш Козловский:
Advanced system of weapons modules

The system of weapons modification with modules has been a welcome addition with the players, so we’d like to expand the possibilities in that area. This relates as to increasing the overall number of weapon modules available, so as to changing the system of bonuses the modules deliver.

Praise be, praise be.

God damn, this is amazing

And the best part is, that with the general exception of PvE and anomalies (the first due to it being bottlenecked by proper AI and a dedicated map, the latter due to is being bottlenecked by how well the low-end renderer can handle it), these are all perfectly within the scope of achievability, even with the cynical standard i hold VG to. Basically, whether all game-design based aspects can be finished is based on one thing and one thing only: How badly will VG cock up the redesign of Tiers and armor. Now, that it will be cocked up is a certainty of life, because, frankly, i wouldn't even expect UndeadPixels, the game designer behind the amazing rebalance of BF4 weaponry, to get such a massive change right on the first try. But the real question is how bad, and how quickly can it be fixed? Now, with the compoundment of tiers it would lead to faster balance information due to it being matched against a wider variety of weaponry, but if they have to spend 6 months on balancing it, the skill rework is most likely going to get shafted in order to get the attachment expansion out before 2018. Though one thing that has to be taken into account that the overal pace of development will be a lot faster know the engineering resources are freed up, with the game having been made a lot more stabile over the last year and it now having a netcode on par with AAA games (with respects to it still being viable for weak processors and GPU's).

aZERO77:

I love this one. We really don't need 10 Tiers. 5-6 is enough IMHO.

As said, with the aim of achieving optimal weapon variety for each tier, the split will most likely be 1-4 5-7 8-10. By doign this it will also remove the idea that we are under a weapon shortage and make everyone understand the actual weapon vareity is actually quite staggering.

Basically, even with my cynical lenses on, i am hopeful and confident we will have cause for celebration by the end of 2017.

Godspeed, have a happy newyear, and Dima be praised.
Last edited by colers25 on 30.12.2016, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
colers25
Supertester

30.12.2016, 17:14

Bullseye2:it's holiday season, i don't want to ruin it by asking about freeplay. nice dev diary

Ruin what? Freeplay was supposed to be out last year (Joe said that many times) and now they don't even mention it anymore...

#neverforget https://survarium.com/en/news/dev-diary-part-4-freeplay
Last edited by Shrekr on 30.12.2016, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Shrekr
Supertester

30.12.2016, 21:42

-Rebalancing weapons and gear-

Very good choice,reduce the lvl armors 1 - 10 to 1 - 5 with 2 sets of armors evry lvl ( 1 lvl very light,2 lvl light,3 lvl medium,4 lvl heavy,5 lvl super heavy armor)

-Advanced system of weapons modules
-System of skills and talents
-Modifying the system of anomalies and artifacts-
++1

-Co-op-
You know well that is not the mode who all was waiting.(years)

-New weapons and gear, new maps
-_- how many years it will be need to all the armor sets will finish ?

Anyway Happy New Year 2017.
EliteMarksman24

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to News