New Renderer Questions Answered

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

09.10.2015, 18:12

mr skeltal wrote:nothing suspicious or spiteful about it

Also, I never said there was. I was saying that often, the way you react to things is as if you are of the opinion that we are doing them to spite you. As in, we are doing it to upset or anger people on purpose.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand please. Let's wait for the diary before continuing this as many of the facts are not presented.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

09.10.2015, 18:16

Let's hope the missing ones will be :)

Thanks for letting us know what parts of the graphics are of no consequence--it is very helpful in knowing how VG plans their game to succeed in the market!
Last edited by chicken_feet on 09.10.2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
chicken_feet

09.10.2015, 18:32

mr skeltal wrote:Thanks for letting us know what parts of the graphics are of no consequence--it is very helpful in knowing how VG plans their game to succeed in the market!

I was referring to a change in a member of staff. Nothing more. Please don't twist my words.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

09.10.2015, 18:39

Wow. Celice (mr skeltal) already banned again.
http://imgur.com/zxv6aXf

From these posts above here.^

-1 for you joe. Stop taking everything so personally...
Cheaptrix

09.10.2015, 18:45

joewillburn:

2. Is there any measurable performance gain in comparison with current renderer?
A: Well, it is incorrect to measure a full-featured renderer with only a partly featured renderer. But you may see a comparison of GeForce 8800 vs Intel HD 4000 to see how much we must improve to get 60 FPS on the latter.

3. What is the number of average FPS that VG deems as "playable" for low/mid end systems?
A: We aim to achieve a stable 60fps, since we think it is comfortable frame rate for players, our new minimum video card is an Intel HD 4000

VG if you are making a game then those graphics cards you mentioned are no longer considered as gaming VGA cards it's not 2007 , but if you are gonna make the Ultra setting up to modern standards then it's ok to have a variety but downgrade further from what we have now is not acceptable , graphics and sound system together make 100% of the game atmosphere and the later is part of the gameplay .
Last edited by Raptor_i81 on 09.10.2015, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Raptor_i81

09.10.2015, 19:04

SoC_Duty:
Gameplay>graphics no matter what. Sure, you can have a game with high-end graphics BUT if the gameplay sucks, it's just gonna stop there.

Idc about graphics as well, I just want a game with good gameplay. After having a great gameplay, then comes the graphics in action.

But that's just me, I don't know what others think.

Hell, I still play old school games such as Mafia and H&D 1&2.

i'm saying the same thing, i just adding that many will still complain no matter if gameplay will benefit.
If gameplay will not benefit what would you say about the new render?
Bullseye2

09.10.2015, 19:12

Cheaptrix:Wow. Celice (mr skeltal) already banned again.

Joe and VG staff, pls... this is not funny at all... you just want to hide facts... and you will not succeed like that!
Stalker_Fan1

09.10.2015, 19:27

Bullseye2:
i'm saying the same thing, i just adding that many will still complain no matter if gameplay will benefit.
If gameplay will not benefit what would you say about the new render?

I'd say the devs have failed at their job and I will be pissed. Simple as that.
Last edited by str0lek on 09.10.2015, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
str0lek

09.10.2015, 19:36

Even I can see that he's pushing Joe's buttons. Whether we agree or disagree with Joe's actions in banning/censoring/locking is a whole matter entirely. However his behaviour is reactionary to the way VG and Joe has been handling development and more specifically PR. I'm not going to say any more because I don't want to get banned either.

Jinxedster

09.10.2015, 21:07

I agree. Once again a very immature and unprofessionell way to handle a situation.
I understand, his tone is beyond being friendly, but it is also completely understandable he's frustrated because every single piece of work, help, suggestion, advice and information seem to get redirected to /dev/null here.
Celice may be the most valuable member next to Leki, Zerhorster and Franz Stigler when it comes to explaining, helping and addressing important things regarding Survarium and Vostok in this forum.

#FreeCelice

Ontopic:

God to see *something* is happening for once. Although I really don't understand why specifically optimizing a 3d FPS game for sub standard video cards that lives from it's atmosphere (at least some patches ago) will benefit the gamers as a whole. If you play video games only slightly regularly, you have a dedicated video card. If you have an intel HD card , you write Excel sheets and browse Facebook imo.
I watched videos on YT where people are trying to play somewhat recent games like FC4 and BF4 on their integrated cards, you cannot call that a playable experience.
Last edited by Krizu on 09.10.2015, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Krizu

09.10.2015, 23:06

Jinxedster:

Even I can see that he's pushing Joe's buttons. Whether we agree or disagree with Joe's actions in banning/censoring/locking is a whole matter entirely. However his behaviour is reactionary to the way VG and Joe has been handling development and more specifically PR. I'm not going to say any more because I don't want to get banned either.

+1
Chandrian
Supermoderator
Survivor

10.10.2015, 00:52

joewillburn:Intel HD 4000

HAHAHAAAHHA
Cheaptrix

10.10.2015, 03:18

What is with this community? Yes, I agree that stuff is taking a little longer to come out, but look at Star Citizen. That game has been in development for years and stuff is starting to finally come together. Quit attacking the devs so aggressively. The only thing I will sympathize on is the currency/premium and what not, but that is another discussion for another time. My point is that they are making the game they want to make as best as they can. Why the hell do you all just patronize them and accuse them of blatantly concealing information or altering the game to save money (the game is free to play by the way so they have to get payed somehow). I honestly think that one good article from VG to clarify all of this nonsense that the community is spouting would really help put all of the nay-sayers to rest. I have full faith the devs are working with the best intentions, but stuff like, oh I don't know MAKING A GAME, takes time. They don't exactly have a corporation backing them either. They are doing their own thing. Notice it says VOSTOK GAMES on the site without some publisher pinned to it? They made their own engine and are trying to do everything on their own the best they can while also dealing with conflict in their somewhat proximity. So before you post that next -BLAM-ing "Poll" just stop and think...is this just going to piss more people off?

Quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of seeing nothing but rage threads. Yes, I agree criticism is good for a game and its developer, but anything short of constructive criticism just makes the devs feel like crap when you stomp on their creation like that. The minute details are whatever, but the game is Survarium and while it could use some changes it is still a great game. All I hear my friends say when playing the game is that it has some of the best sounds (particularly gun sounds) of any game. The guns are awesome (while some could, again, be adjusted), but they are still really high quality.

In closing, just give constructive feedback to the devs in a formal manner. Don't shout obscenities at them telling them that their game is wrong because that's what you are for (telling them whats wrong). They can't figure that stuff out by themselves (you know how expensive extensive testing groups are?). Again, play the game, figure out what's wrong and/or what you don't like, and then just tell the devs. Quit raging, it solves NOTHING and it never will. Try working at a real job and raging at the boss when you don't like the way something is going. That'll getcha fired on the spot (real world advice depending on how you apply it ;) ).

Hopefully I got the correct point across and the community will learn a little to be more kind in providing feedback. The devs are being as communicative as they can and making WIP content to show off takes time away from development. Remember, the more you want to see what changes are being made, the more the devs have to waste time preparing stuff to put in a video. It will all come in time so just let them work their magic and keep improving the game based on your CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. If they do something the majority doesn't like then they can change it, that's the beauty of making games.

TLDR CTFO

Rant over and happy surviving in survarium! :D
Last edited by SilentOption on 10.10.2015, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
SilentOption

10.10.2015, 08:25

SilentOption:In closing, just give constructive feedback to the devs in a formal manner. Don't shout obscenities at them telling them that their game is wrong because that's what you are for (telling them whats wrong).

They tried that, it didn't work. This is what they've been forced to.

SilentOption:Yes, I agree that stuff is taking a little longer to come out, but look at Star Citizen. That game has been in development for years and stuff is starting to finally come together.

As far as I know, Star Citizen has been progressing steadily and the devs have been showing features and talking to and with the community about development. VG very, very, very rarely does that. There are so many features of this game that are essentially labelled as "is coming" and that's about all we know.

In short, this situation has been building for several months, if not years now. It's not something that just spontaneously happened.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

10.10.2015, 08:42

Intel HD 4000 and Survarium is a bold claim. After this update the game should run double or even 'trouble' times faster than now (correct me if I'm wrong). I am interested to see the results :).

I just hope Vostok Games will implement more advanced renderers later - I value good graphics in games :) (*cough* Raytracing :D)
Last edited by tank202 on 10.10.2015, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
tank202

10.10.2015, 09:41

The game won't look the best(obviously), but I could see 60fps with minimum settings at a downscaled resolution.

Don't expect the game to look pretty on Intel HD 4000 and equivalent. But do expect it to be smooth enough to be enjoyable.

BF4 running 60 on Intel HD 4000. -watch it for more than 10 seconds, he is running max settings at start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66y0qbHx-4

YouTube channel that plays games on Intel HD 4000 specifically
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4okJ1 ... Ym4Yroj2zQ

Should Survarium be able to run on APUs, huzzah, more people are able to play the game. If it doesn't perhaps a performance increase for everyone else and some bugs/errors fixed. We will find out, not much else to speculate about the matter.
JamesFreddrikks

10.10.2015, 09:50

tank202:After this update the game should run double or even 'trouble' times faster than now (correct me if I'm wrong).

Triple.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

10.10.2015, 13:05

Nexolate:
They tried that, it didn't work. This is what they've been forced to.

As far as I know, Star Citizen has been progressing steadily and the devs have been showing features and talking to and with the community about development. VG very, very, very rarely does that. There are so many features of this game that are essentially labelled as "is coming" and that's about all we know.

In short, this situation has been building for several months, if not years now. It's not something that just spontaneously happened.

+1
str0lek

10.10.2015, 17:45

SoC_Duty:
+1

Quite frankly I don't agree. They could show more, but Star Citizen has a ridiculous budget and it is because of the crow funding that they can make all of that content. They state it before every video. Survarium doesn't have 90 million (at least to my knowledge) so they are trying to make the best of their time.
SilentOption

13.10.2015, 10:57

Please forgive everyone skeptisism, Joe. Everyone with knowledge of hardware knows that having a Intel HD 4000 running any 3D 2015 game at any setting at anything above 30FPS is an extremely bold claim, though i will openly say, if you guys pull it off, then you lot deserve high-fives all around and that render programmer deserves a massive raise.

I do however want to inform everyone here that I personally found out that Survarium is more processor heavy than it is GPU heavy. Changing my graphical settings had a negligable effect on either my frame rate or stability, but the moment i underclock my processor even by 10% the frame count enters a swan dive. putting my FX8350 from 4Ghz down to 3.6ghz will make the FPS drop by a solid 15 frames, from 58 down to around 45. Going down another .4Ghz puts it around 35 and going down to 2.8Ghz puts it at a painful average of 24 frames per second.

Frankly, i cannot explain why the massive drop occurs, given that the game really isn't physics heavy, which might mean the game tries to render an unnecessary amount of graphical effects with the CPU (i recall Planetside 2 having the same issue of making the CPU do unnecessary things that could be handed out to the GPU for much higher efficiency)

It might just be an issue with my processor, and i have no technical knowledge to verify my claim about why it is so CPU heavy, but does the renderer also affect CPU work load?

Also do i have to remind anyone that the Star Citizen team as of late has done more shady stuff than a former east-bloc game development studio is ever capable off.

And i stand with Joe; them doing things just to spite us is ridiculous. They might be a bit contrarian at times, but i think that is caused by a twisted understanding of how their playerbase works and what niche the game can occupy more than it is caused by them just being a massive bunch of wankers, pardon my french
Last edited by colers25 on 13.10.2015, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
colers25

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback