Dev Diary Part 2: Factions

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

13.01.2015, 23:23

Aaaw yisss! Best part - the artworks. Can't wait to see this in-game! And to be able to set those sweet slavic hair-braids :3

For me, I like the added variety. But having 4 starter factions, don't see that as increase in beginner-friendliness.

Lookin forward to the next diary!
Knüppelkadse
Explorer

13.01.2015, 23:29

Nexolate:
Yes. If you look at Joe's transcript, it shows the names of the images.
That was my guess from having read them, yet I have no clue how low those two factions will be going.

I like the M17 gas mask on the scavenger.
Red Schuhart
Supertester

14.01.2015, 00:07

Roxo:To be honest....I cant see AK weapons anymore....If I read "AK-9 and AK-107" no just no....the only weapon I like
is the new russian submachine gun which looks like the Kiparis (its the PP-91 Kedr) and for sure the P90

But otherwise every AK weapon feels like the same...so I dont need more I only need 3 AK types (AKS-74U, AKM
and maybe a RPK)

AK-9 is an equal to AS-val and 9A-91 so it is not bad.
G1L

14.01.2015, 00:11

William-g:Nice, nice , but.....

There is already a lot of weapons in the game, do we need more?

Would be nice to have the possibility to make different type of modification to weapons, like riflescope, camo....

Would be nice to see coming different type of grenades and traps, to see some individual mine or other staff to put in our little pockets.....

At least here we have a faction named "Black Market" so it is not very bad to have more weapons in this game. just enjoy it.
G1L

14.01.2015, 02:34

SCAR..... this game is already perfect to me... although, which version (-L or -H)?
Cloud90PL

14.01.2015, 03:19

P90!! Party time! :)
Gamertech
Survivor

14.01.2015, 06:36

Issues and Concerns

1. Matchmaking. So the ranks will be condensed, and the amount of ranks in a faction will be reduced? However the amount of rank points you need to rank up will be increased? If this is true, a simple 1-2 levels can be a HUGE difference in the skill level of the players. They will also be match maked with one another. Now I can understand why you're doing this, to help with the speed of matchmaking and to deal with the low population. However, you may get more unbalanced matches.

2. The Grind feeling. Right now it takes a considerable amount of time for me to rank up. For a lose I usually average 150-200 faction points with no missions and no double. With wins I think it's around the same amount, usually 190-230 range. If its going to take longer for me to rank up, I will have slower progression. Slower progression = less of a sense of reward and progression for playing. This coupled with the current mission design I don't think is a good sign. I mean right now I'm half way through one faction and I need 11,000 rank up points. Assume I lose each game and each game last about 20 minutes, that's ~1222 minutes. 20 Hours of games, just to rank up once. I don't think this will be big among players. However I can also understand why you do this. There isn't much to hold people with the game right now except leaderboards. Till we get some clan battles and Freeplay stuff out, People may not stay long. So I hope it's only temporary.

How Missions Should be Made

Now I think fixing the mission system and reward system will help #2 a lot. First missions. Missions for factions shouldn't drastically change the way you play. Things like stealing batteries, returning batteries, killing players with grenades, killing players with headshots, killing players with melee, etc; those are all VERY intrusive to players. People generally don't like that. Missions should be focused on the FINAL part of the game, not the play. These missions should be about winning. Winning a battery match with X amount of batteries. Winning a match or set of matches in general. Winning a match with so many kills. Winning a match within a set amount of time. "Finding" an item after a match. Things like that. They allow players to play how they want to a certain degree while still being focused on actually playing the game mode.

Then you have in match rewards. These give you a boost to your end rewards for doing certain things while in game. If you finish a game with a certain K/D percentage, you get a boost to all your rewards. You steal a battery? Boost. You get a kill streak? Boost. Getting X amount of headshots? Boost. Killing Y amount of players with a grenade? Boost. Each one can award a different amount of rewards. This allows skilled players to actually benefit and be rewarded with their skill. The amount of times I've gotten a 3.0+ K/d ration but didn't get the mission reward because we lost, or any other thing that's dependent on winning, is very large. I can' carry or try any harder. I can't carry 6+ batteries by myself or with only one person covering. I can't go in by myself and try to steal a battery. The current missions like that just simply ask too much teamwork out of the general populace. It's too frustrating. I mean sure, you will get a small percentage of players who will go in as a party or actually work together. But that's a small percentage.

You can call these "boosts" battle accomplishments. It's a nice way to reward players for individual skill and teamwork skill without it being reliant on other players or the RNG of missions.
Professor Sakharov

14.01.2015, 07:17

Chandrian:
It's as simple as going to the /ru version of the site and you can see they have written СВДК there, which stands for SVDK. I've no idea why they translate some names, when they shouldn't, like writting SCS instead of SKS in the patch notes (probably because K stands for carbine in russian, but everyone knows it as SKS).

oh, ok then doubt resolved. Dragunov SVDK caliber 9,3x64mm, assume.. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CqDMBqIyVI
K3lvin

14.01.2015, 07:20

Cloud90PL:SCAR..... this game is already perfect to me... although, which version (-L or -H)?

I do think the H one. It's the one used in the US military, if I'm not mistaken.
str0lek

14.01.2015, 08:35

So excited for the Kedr. One of my favorite guns from Contract Wars.

I would be excited about the changes to the mission system... but I've already maxed out all the factions! Glad that it is getting another pass. I guess I will still have some exp with the Black Market and Scavengers once the update drops.
Sax Panther

14.01.2015, 08:39

P90, Scar, FNC or AK 107... Fök it! Gunna catch em all!
МУНЕР:Joe, do you have an ETA?

The official Vostok ETA is... no ETA! :P
Jäeger
Veteran

14.01.2015, 08:49

why there is no consequences in faction system, for more immersion and RPG feeling?

for example, u change ur faction for black market and than other 3 factions dont like that and u loose their faction points and rank, because u are a traitor to them! this is more realistic setup in post-apocalyptic world, u can have privileges and high rank in only 1 faction, not all!

:D
Abigarus

14.01.2015, 08:59

Jäeger:P90, Scar, FNC or AK 107... Fök it! Gunna catch em all!

^

Abigarus:why there is no consequences in faction system, for more immersion and RPG feeling?

for example, u change ur faction for black market and than other 3 factions dont like that and u loose their faction points and rank, because u are a traitor to them! this is more realistic setup in post-apocalyptic world, u can have privileges and high rank in only 1 faction, not all!

:D

VG tried to create some more 'hostile' reactions between factions when you went from one to the other, but it isn't that strong (yet).
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 14.01.2015, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Davik_Heragon

14.01.2015, 09:04

I am looking forward to the rematched eqlevels and factions, and definitely new equipment to play around with.

My only real concern is the new missions sound a little... invasive? Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounded like each match you have three goals, and if you can't complete the first one in a set of time, a new mission will replace it...? I hope this is a misunderstanding, as not only does this sound distracting, where the game tells you to change the way you play every several minutes (accuracy mission->trapping mission), but it can potentially ruin a near-completed mission (say, 15 kills and you are at 12 or 13 and then the mission cycles out).

Can someone clarify for me?
chicken_feet

14.01.2015, 09:10

As far as I am aware, it works like this:

-You get three daily missions (max) and you start with one

-Because of Bronze, Silver and Gold I suspect there will be a easy-medium-hard system with slightly different goals

-If you finish one of those three goals before the timer, you can try to improve that missions and take a chance at silver or gold

-Eventually the mission wil be replaced by another mission when the timer runs out

It is indeed so that when you can't finish the mission in Bronze, Silver or Gold within the time, the faction will offer you another mission. I hope this helps a bit.
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 14.01.2015, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Davik_Heragon

14.01.2015, 09:15

Will the weapons/gear have different stats is the question. Knowing they are going from 15 tiers to 10 tiers. If not, I can imagine the imbalance.
str0lek

14.01.2015, 10:49

Roxo:AK99 "Dnjestr"

Since when there is an AK with a river name that's not in russia?
Senpai-kun

14.01.2015, 11:56

joewillburn: So for a number of "feats" such as the series of kills, melee kills and finding batteries etc. players will receive an additional award.

Some days ago on the forum was a topic about "MatchMaking Options - Cast Your Vote Now" viewtopic.php?t=6092

When I read the diary about factions I feel that our vote is like in real politics, it is for nothing. Like I already say in my opinion the 026 version isn't equitable, it have make strong players more stronger.
With what I read I have the feeling that the strong players will have more awards than others, what will make them really stronger compare to others players.
And you can imagine that they will finish those much more quickly. What will make a real difference between players.

It make me nervous in a match to have the best player in my team but we loose because those players think only about themselves and killing. I know it will be difficult but it would be nice that Vostok find a way to award the players who have try to help the team to win, not the camper or the killers.
William-g

14.01.2015, 12:13

Jäeger:P90, Scar, FNC or AK 107... Fök it! Gunna catch em all!

I know, but its still worth asking )
МУНЕР

14.01.2015, 12:23

МУНЕР:I know, but its still worth asking )

If you actually get an official ETA out of Joe, I'll send you a reward. ;)
Jäeger
Veteran

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback