Dev Diary Part 2: Factions

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

13.01.2015, 18:33

Hello!

In this, the second part of the developer diaries we will discuss the factions and the advancement of the player. As you know, factions are a major source of new equipment and weapons for the player. During the completion of missions and various actions in the battle, the player receives reputation with their selected faction. At the same time the player can improve the reputation with only one that one specific faction but of course, nothing prevents them changing the active faction as many times as they like.
The players themselves can choose to focus on one faction for quick leveling, or to upgrade a few at the same time.

Our initial concept was that all factions were divided into two types. Starting factions represented by the Scavengers and Black Market, and were designed primarily to familiarize you with the game. As it evolves, players have the opportunity to cooperate with The Renaissance Army and The Fringe Settlers, which offer better equipment and weapons. Since the inception of this system, we have received requests to give Scavengers and Black Market higher level items, so that they can confront The Renaissance Army and The Fringe Settlers. Although abandoning the original concept required thorough analysis, it was decided to make all factions of equal strength. Thus all the factions will retain their unique characteristics.

[Concepts of the beginners The Renaissance Army and The Fringe Settlers]

Simultaneously with this change, we will have reduced the range of levels of items. Instead of the 15 item levels, we will have 10. Current level 5 items will join the 3rd item level after the update. We will also increase the amount of reputation needed to obtain each level. Thus, new players (wishing to advance to level 10 equipment) will need to spend as much time as the older players took to advance up to level 15. Anticipating your questions, we will speak about the goals that we pursue with this change; first of all this change will allow a reduction in the time spent in matchmaking by roughly x1.5, so the match will be available to more players. Secondly it will allow, on the one hand, to reinforce the difference between adjacent levels (level 5 and 6 items will vary in strength more than level 5 and 6 items do currently) and on the other hand to reduce the difference between the initial and final levels. In addition, some levels will give a choice of several different play-style items (in truth, our goal is that at each level of equipment from one faction has at least 2 different sets), which will have a positive impact on the diversity of gameplay.

[The concept of Abnormal Scavenger] [Concept of Scavengers Fighter]

What kind of equipment is waiting for us? Let’s talk only about the key items that will be added to the game. The new Scavengers outfit certainly will appeal to fans of anomalies and snipers. To the arsenal we will add weapons produced in post-Soviet territory, including AK-9, AK-107, and a sniper rifle, SWDC. Black Market is a supplier of equipment that combines high mobility and good protection from bullets. New weapons will be presented, mainly with Belgian production, including assault rifles, FN FNC, FN SCAR, pistol-machine gun FN P90, as well as the famous machine gun FN Minimi. The initial outfit of The Fringe Settlers is well suited to those who like to collect artifacts, and the gun PP-91 Kedr will allow you to effectively fire at short distances. The equipment of the Renaissance Army, as currently, will have the best level of protection from bullets of its level. Primary weapons will be supplemented by the machine gun AEK 919K "Kashtan", and carbine SOK-94. A more complete list of changes to the equipment and weapons will be available to review prior to the release of the update.

[Concept of Black Market Raider] [Concept Black Market Trooper]

In addition to the factions, changes will affect how a player earns reputation. The current system has several disadvantages. The main contribution to upgrading reputation is completing missions set out by the various factions. At a high level, missions are quite complex and not all players are able to complete them. Although we believe it is right that skilled players have the opportunity to upgrade faster, it is obvious that the difference in the rate of advancement should not be so huge. Moreover, the success of some of the missions depends more on random chance than on skills or actions of the player. All this leads to the fact that it’s quite difficult for players to plan their actions. So, even approximately, it is impossible to say how many more matches are needed to be played to get a new reputation level with the faction. Another significant disadvantage is the inability to perform certain missions in certain modes. For example, missions associated with batteries in Team Deathmatch.

To correct the above deficiencies, we plan to change the mechanics of the missions from factions and to introduce additional awards for special actions in combat. A faction will issue only three daily missions. Each task can be executed on a "bronze", "silver" or "gold". If you've done the mission for "bronze", before the expiry of the timer, you have the opportunity to improve your score. The reward for the mission will depend on how well you did it. If you are not able to improve the result before the expiration of the timer, then you will be offered a new mission. When changing the faction those missions that have not yet been completed will be replaced by new ones from a new faction. Those missions which were executed, at least partially will be closed and during the day you will not be able to improve your score or get a new mission from the faction that you left. We also plan to introduce a system that encourages successful actions of the player in battle. So for a number of "feats" such as the series of kills, melee kills and finding batteries etc. players will receive an additional award.

This story about the planned changes associated with factions comes to an end. We are looking forward to an active discussion of these innovations on the forum!
joewillburn
Vostok Games

13.01.2015, 18:50

Holy mother of God, it's the Belgian weapon Storm!

- FN FNC
- FN SCAR
- FN P90
- FN Minimi

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

13.01.2015, 18:51

The new system seems a lot better tha ithe current one, but I don't like the fact that the Scavs and BM will be 100% equal to FS and RA, they do need more equipment and more levels, but in the end, their not as developed and united as the FS and RA, but overall, the new patch is going to be really good with all the changes you're going to make, even if some of the stuff doesn't work out as planned, the most important thing i that you're trying to fix current issues.
Nomad

13.01.2015, 18:53

Some good stuff there can't wait to test.
SpectroGr

13.01.2015, 19:01

FN FNC, FN SCAR, pistol-machine gun FN P90, as well as the famous machine gun FN Minimi

Noice
Last edited by Heavygunner on 13.01.2015, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Heavygunner
Master

13.01.2015, 19:03

Interesting features. The level changes in order to create rounds that have more variety sounds good and I hope the predictment turns out to be true. As Nomad said, it sounds cool to equalize the factions, but it would take a while for 'old' players to get used to these changes.

BTW I am still wondering if anything to the faction unlocking system (unlocking the other 2 factions) is going to change, since the factions will be more equalized. Ah well, we'll see how it runs!
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 13.01.2015, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.

Davik_Heragon

13.01.2015, 19:04

Oh, god. This is amazing.
IronSymphony
Explorer

13.01.2015, 19:05

Nice stuff, I hope this will change the game in a better way
МУНЕР

13.01.2015, 19:07

Everything I read in the article sounds pretty good to me :)
R0M41D3N
Explorer

13.01.2015, 19:13

Great stuff!

I have no doubt that at the end of the day this will end up as an amazing game - it just sucks waiting for all the planned features! : P

Can't wait to try out the new weapons!
xkaan

13.01.2015, 19:13

Well done VG, you're on the right path!
Keep it up guys! ✌
Omid

13.01.2015, 19:37

Whoa, those weapons incoming *.*

I don't understand about that SWDC, it's a rifle name? what is that? i can't find nothing related.
Last edited by K3lvin on 13.01.2015, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
K3lvin

13.01.2015, 19:45

K3lvin:Whoa, those weapons incoming *.*

I don't understand about that SWDC, it's a rifle name? what is that? i can't find nothing related.

Never heard of it either. Tried looking it up but to no avail.

Also, looks like the devs are finally, well, listening. Yell at me all you want, but I think they finally realized how spread out the playerbase was with the extra levels.
IronSymphony
Explorer

13.01.2015, 19:47

Im curious , when all these changes will come?
ZombifiedSurvivor

13.01.2015, 19:55

joewillburn:Hello!

Joe, do you have an ETA?
Last edited by МУНЕР on 13.01.2015, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
МУНЕР

13.01.2015, 19:56

OMG Nice
PaRaZoNe

13.01.2015, 20:04

To be honest....I cant see AK weapons anymore....If I read "AK-9 and AK-107" no just no....the only weapon I like
is the new russian submachine gun which looks like the Kiparis (its the PP-91 Kedr) and for sure the P90

But otherwise every AK weapon feels like the same...so I dont need more I only need 3 AK types (AKS-74U, AKM
and maybe a RPK)
Roxo

13.01.2015, 20:10

Belgium represents ;) Where's the FN Five Seven? This article made me wet.
str0lek

13.01.2015, 20:15

TheRedKing:Where's the FN Five Seven?

I asked myself the same question, but I'm sure it willl come in later.
Heavygunner
Master

13.01.2015, 20:38

Heavygunner:
I asked myself the same question, but I'm sure it willl come in later.

And dont forget the AK-20 and the AK-74 and for sure a AK99 "Dnjestr" :P
Roxo

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback