The Alpha Test Diary #5

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

28.10.2013, 18:34

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately, we’ve been so busy that lately we have not reported on our progress with the development of Survarium. I’m eager to fix this regrettable situation. As you already know, through the entire summer (and part of autumn) we have been preoccupied with fixing many technical issues. The network synchronization and server part turned out to be tougher cookie than we expected, especially given the goals regarding the synchronization quality and volume of traffic that we set for ourselves. And so, finally, I am happy to announce that all the major problems have been solved. There are still several known bugs around (namely work through symmetrical NAT which will be fixed in the next patch), but they no longer pose any serious impact on the gameplay as they used to. So, making use of the occasion let me thank all the Alpha testers who, despite everything, helped us with testing the game.

The second bit of important news is that we started preparations for Survarium’s transition into the Closed Beta testing (CBT). This means two things. First, patches will be released less frequently, but they will contain more changes related not only to stability, but also the gameplay. As of now, artifacts have almost been completed; we are progressing very well with the grenades, close combat attack and the system of tasks. Secondly, every week we are going to increase the number of testers. For starters, we plan to send out 500 new invites every Monday (including today!). Soon we will launch an automatic system which we call the ‘invites lottery’ that is going to choose three lucky survivors every hour and send them an invitation to participate in the game testing. Notably, the earlier the user registered his Alpha test application and the more active forum life participant he is, the more of a chance he will stand to obtain an invite. Keep in mind though we will keep an eye for active spammers to lower their winning priority!

A separate statement needs to be made about the international community. We haven’t forgotten about you. In the coming weeks we are going to finalize the tools to allow us support several language versions of the client. After that we will begin admitting the English-speaking community to the test. There are two reservations here though: our servers are located in the European part of Russia, so from certain territories (such as Americas, Asia, Africa, Australia) the ping might be too high to make your play comfortable. The communication in the main chat channel may also be complicated due to the fact that right now 100% of the audience are Russian-speaking. We have hopes for your understanding here, in future we will do our best to deliver several main channels, each with its own language of communication.

And to cap it all, soon we will release another developer’s video diary. There we will share more details on the upcoming changes. On top of that, in the video diary we would like to answer three most interesting questions from our players. In case you do have some original questions (something we did not answer before), leave them in this diary’s discussion thread.

Ruslan 'Stohe' Didenko
Survarium Project Lead
Last edited by joewillburn on 21.12.2013, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Yava
Vostok Games
Survivor

28.10.2013, 19:06

Great progress has been made and another milestone has been passed. The honest information you give the community of the development is fantastic.
When the International English community start to get the opportunities to get hands on with testing I imagine to see another surge of interest in Survarium.
Keep up the momentum Vostok Games!
Electron_Survivor
Survivor

28.10.2013, 19:33

So nice to read about your progress!
Keep it up and us informed! :)

See you soon then!
jej
Survivor

28.10.2013, 19:53

lets hope those weeks arent to many. Cause this is getting a bit slow, it cant -just- have been an traditional translation that have taken 4 months extra.
Terrox
Survivor

28.10.2013, 20:11

Terrox:lets hope those weeks arent to many. Cause this is getting a bit slow, it cant -just- have been an traditional translation that have taken 4 months extra.

Russian as I've heard can be tough to translate into English, not as easy as Spanish or French, so I can see how, with their busy schedule, it was not their highest of priorities, but I'm extremely excited to hear it's coming soon enough.

Any english players should have inferred earlier that it would be rough for us to play - but even with lag or ping issues, I intend to play when I get the chance, if only to show the interest of the English community and our dedication to the game.

Keep up the work, Vostok. I can't wait to help out and test for the North American community.
LtTaylor

28.10.2013, 20:21

Terrox:lets hope those weeks arent to many. Cause this is getting a bit slow, it cant -just- have been an traditional translation that have taken 4 months extra.

It's not just translation, it's about client sync and stability. Also, games take years to develop so things are actually progressing pretty quickly.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

28.10.2013, 21:43

It's nice to be up to date again, thank you.
Heavygunner
Master

28.10.2013, 22:18

No offense, Terrox, but your post does not give the impression that you actually read the topic at all.

If you had, you'd know that they were having extreme difficulty with network connectivity/synchronisation, something which has both been discussed in diaries before and is evident in numerous patch notes. So no, as Joe said it did not take 4 months simply for translation.
Last edited by Nexolate on 28.10.2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

28.10.2013, 23:05

I'm so excited for the transition to CBT. I hope my friends and I can get invites soon. :D
Thx for updating us.
Last edited by mmclind on 28.10.2013, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
mmclind

28.10.2013, 23:15

Ha man, so glad after reading this... seems like the team makes nice progress :D
Enderr

29.10.2013, 04:23

And here i was translating the 3rd paragraph to Eng after guys from russian community sent me link... Note to self: Check Eng forum diaries before translating stuff...

Anyway GG keep up.
Maeda

29.10.2013, 07:22

Yava:Hello everyone!
A separate statement needs to be made about the international community. We haven’t forgotten about you. In the coming weeks we are going to finalize the tools to allow us support several language versions of the client. After that we will begin admitting the English-speaking community to the test. There are two reservations here though: our servers are located in the European part of Russia, so from certain territories (such as Americas, Asia, Africa, Australia) the ping might be too high to make your play comfortable. The communication in the main chat channel may also be complicated due to the fact that right now 100% of the audience are Russian-speaking. We have hopes for your understanding here, in future we will do our best to deliver several main channels, each with its own language of communication.

Ruslan 'Stohe' Didenko
Survarium Project Lead

Wooo, it was getting a little worrying there, I know we're not the calmest bunch, but considering how badly we've wanted this experience, I ask for a little forgiveness. Also, having played games from European regions, if the servers are in Britain or Germany, I tend to find I get mid-level pings (around 100-200ms) which isn't that bad, though when playing the online COP stuff, I was getting anywhere from 250-500ms with 2kms spikes, which made multi-player...well, still fun but wonky as hell. And having teammates yell at you in Russian and replying back "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE YELLING ABOUT" was good times so that bothers me little. Just, give me English instructions and help windows, that, that was kinda hard to deal with.
AgentHwest

29.10.2013, 12:35

I will wait
Viktor Gusarov

29.10.2013, 21:36

I Cant wait for the international tests. Keep up the great work I can't believe how much you've been informing the community and keeping us informed :)
Senshi19

29.10.2013, 23:04

Nexolate:
No offense, Terrox, but your post does not give the impression that you actually read the topic at all.

If you had, you'd know that they were having extreme difficulty with network connectivity/synchronisation, something which has both been discussed in diaries before and is evident in numerous patch notes. So no, as Joe said it did not take 4 months simply for translation.

I read it all. What i meant is that prior to this, i havent seen they saying that the reason for the international delay is network problems wich have mostlikley caused a pause in the translation. they have said there have been net problems, but not that its the cause of the delay for international release.
Terrox
Survivor

31.10.2013, 19:49

Keep it up guys!
Pedro_ILPAN

31.10.2013, 21:58

It's nice to see it going forward.

Off topic: The orange color is really annoying to read and very bright, just letting you know. Colors like yellow, pink, green, black and orange is to avoid because they melt into most backgrounds. Can make your eyes hurt after a while. Would be nice to see other responses and thoughts regarding this issue.
zin

01.11.2013, 14:53

Good news. I hope progress will continue as fast and steady as possible, since until there are servers in America it will be rather impossible to enjoy the game.

Keep working hard Vostok!

Vinter

01.11.2013, 18:35

I heard about this game just recently but I have to say that this game has potential to be a great game.
I hope I could try it out.

hRci

01.11.2013, 21:00

I found out about this game through PsiSyndicate about eight months ago. I don't mind waiting years for the game to finish, as long as it's good and worth the wait :3 I am sure they're doing their best to make the alpha a stable, enjoyable environment for their players. We don't want another WarZ.
ZehDjFortify
Survivor

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback