The Beta Test Diary #2

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

29.04.2014, 14:27

Hi everybody!

As you know recently we had the Doors Open Day test and now finally I’ve had some time to put all my thoughts together and share our future plans with you. Besides the possibility to check out Survarium, the event served as great stress test which revealed several bottlenecks. Thanks to the efforts of our programmers, all of those were removed within a few hours, so by the evening most of the players could play without any hindrance. We received quite promising results, both in terms of the server performance and the players’ feedback about the game. As a result, we made a decision to increase the number of winning tickets in the lottery by 20 times.

Now a bit regarding our plans; unfortunately, the Storm as we envisioned it, turned out to be way too complex (especially given our visualization requirements set) to implement and release within one update. Therefore, in order not to procrastinate with it, we have decided to deliver it part by part. We will start with separate storm effects based on individual locations, so that later when the number of effects implemented exceeds a certain threshold, we could activate the mechanism to launch a random Storm effect on a random location at any point in time.

One of the key future update changes will be the increased role of artifacts, as well as that of the ammo in battle. Currently a lot of ammo and artifacts are purely a situation-based application, which makes the gear allow you to carry too much ammo and artifacts barely useful when it comes to real combat. Thus, for example, having two or three artifact containers, you can collect a good set of artifacts no sooner than by the end of battle when there is no possibility to effectively influence the result.

One of the most questioned parts is the match-making system. Thus, many players don’t understand why they are being thrown in battle against much better equipped opponents. Therefore we decided to improve the character equipping interface and the match-making interface, so as to make the process more understandable to the player. We are going to display the player the ‘equipment level’ parameter which depends on the items put on and the ELO ranking of the player (players of high rank are thrown into higher-profile battles). At the time of the match-making the player will see the range of possible battles (which expands with every minute of waiting), so as the approximate number of players standing in line for each of the battle levels.

Additionally, we are eager to modify the daily tasks system. As you know, currently every faction gives the player one random task with a time limit to complete. The option with automatic tasks yielding we chose as a simpler way for the new players to grasp (this way they don’t need to be explained where to pick up tasks). However, under such an approach there comes another side of the coin – I can simultaneously have up to four tasks and only one of those will be interesting to me. Also it’s a bit confusing to be able to (as the same time) accomplish tasks for several factions at once. We’ve considered a number of solutions to resolve such a dilemma. One of the approaches is to have the player choose one faction which he cooperates with at the moment and which tasks he’s up to completing. The player is free to pick another faction at a loss of loyalty bonus with the former one. So we’d be curious to get the players’ feedback to such an idea.

On top of the gameplay changes, we keep working on the technical side of the game. Already in the current version we have considerably reduced the traffic, which proved beneficial for playing on lower-end computers, narrow channels or for users with high ping rates, so as for the performance of our servers. This is not yet the best we can do though, as we continue improving the smaller loss or damage of packages in order to guarantee an unprecedented quality of game performance, especially with wireless connections. We also are finalizing the optimization of the game renderer under the 32-bit OS, so soon we’ll be able to lift the limitation on screen resolution for the 32-bit systems.

Before I forget, shortly we are going to announce a new game location we’ve been working on at the moment. Keep your eyes peeled for updates on www.survarium.com and speak soon!

Ruslan Didenko – Survarium Project Lead
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.04.2014, 14:34

Keep up the good work, VG!
str0lek

29.04.2014, 14:37

Interesting. Could you elaborate on the Storm system a bit?

The way I read it, you're planning to add the Storm to each location one at a time where each has a different Storm effect. Then, when you have enough of these effects ready, you'll change it so that a random effect can happen on any location. Is that all correct?
Last edited by Nexolate on 29.04.2014, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

29.04.2014, 14:40

Nexolate wrote:Interesting. Could you elaborate on the Storm system a bit?

The way I read it, you're planning to add the Storm to each location one at a time where each has a different Storm effect. Then, when you have enough ready, you'll change it so that a random effect can happen on any location. Is that all correct?

Basically, yes.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.04.2014, 14:41

joewillburn:Basically, yes.

Okay, cool! Looking forward to the first Storm effect and the new location.

Is it the same one you showed during the Open Doors Day video? The one on the bridge?
Last edited by Nexolate on 29.04.2014, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

29.04.2014, 14:42

Day - 364
Time - 15:40
Tickets - 13
Situation - slowly running down on supplies,much tired,so thirsty.
AdiCro678

29.04.2014, 14:47

Nexolate:
Okay, cool! Looking forward to the first Storm effect and the new location.

Is it the same one you showed during the Open Doors Day video? The one on the bridge?

I think the one with the trains at 5:52. The one with bridge, like you said.
Last edited by str0lek on 29.04.2014, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
str0lek

29.04.2014, 14:48

Nexolate wrote:Okay, cool! Looking forward to the first Storm effect and the new location.

I'm unable to share this information. Sorry.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

29.04.2014, 16:23

Thanks for the update! I'm very excited about this 'storm' as it will surely make PvP more interesting. Also nice to read the devs are still working hard to improve the gameplay mechanics, but off course I wouldn't expect anything less.

Keep up the good work! I like the direction in which the game is going!
Richie Cunningham
Survivor

29.04.2014, 16:33

Interesting. Keep up the good work!
THISaint

29.04.2014, 16:36

Keep going the good work
oznacenej555

29.04.2014, 16:38

Sounds like good and interesting updates for now and the future. I'm curious about a few things though:

1: What is the solution for the 'too much ammo problem'? Because (it can be my fault) I don't really see the solution for ammo in that text.

2: Are the storm effects going to be different from eachother? And if they are different do they each have another effect on the player(s)?

My apologies for my curiosity if it bothers you :)
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 25.10.2015, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Davik_Heragon

29.04.2014, 16:47

Regarding the faction missions, aren't they impossible to do simultaneously (at least once you get past the first ranking) because you need to be dressed in that faction's gear to actually complete their quests? I think that system works fine, and is less of a hassle than taking a reputation hit every time you want to do different faction quests.
goat88

29.04.2014, 16:50

I think the new location is the one with the trains that we saw on the developers diaries.
RedFenixIII

29.04.2014, 16:52

Davik_Heragon:Sounds like good and interesting updates for now and the future. I'm curious about a few things though:

1: What is the solution for the 'too much ammo problem'? Because (it can be my fault) I don't really see the solution for ammo in that text.

2: Are the storm effects going to be different from eachother? And if they are different do they each have another effect on the player(s)?

My apoligies for my curiosity if it bothers you :)

As he sad, in future when they implement more variations of storms they will make it random on every location so yes there will be different storms and i think they will affect the players in different ways :)
RedFenixIII

29.04.2014, 16:52

Well one big problem in the game is that once you start to play there is no way to replenish ammo - wich should be done when killing an enemy and the sistem should be - u get his ammo or something similar cause the only way to replenish ammo again is to die - wich isnt really the best thing
EDOMINATOR

29.04.2014, 16:55

Great game! keep up the good work! :)
em1LL77

29.04.2014, 16:57

EDOMINATOR:Well one big problem in the game is that once you start to play there is no way to replenish ammo - wich should be done when killing an enemy and the sistem should be - u get his ammo or something similar cause the only way to replenish ammo again is to die - wich isnt really the best thing

I would like to agree with this because in most of my games, I end up losing all of my ammo while there are 7-8 minutes left in the game. I once trolled the opponents by running around them and doing the art of dodging :P It was fun but without ammo, it becomes kinda dull later on

And good job Vostok Games! Survarium, best survival MMOFPS ever :D
Ratz1994

29.04.2014, 16:58

Thanks for some answers it has cleared the problems and solutions a little bit more for me. :)
Last edited by Davik_Heragon on 29.04.2014, 17:00, edited 2 times in total.

Davik_Heragon

29.04.2014, 16:58

EDOMINATOR:Well one big problem in the game is that once you start to play there is no way to replenish ammo - wich should be done when killing an enemy and the sistem should be - u get his ammo or something similar cause the only way to replenish ammo again is to die - whic isnt really the best thing

I'm not sure but when i played on the Open Doors Day i could not even replenish ammo when i die, you need to buy it and then decide which weapon will have more ammo primary or secondary, if you have only 100 ammo and you use it you wont be able to shoot till the match end...
Last edited by RedFenixIII on 29.04.2014, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
RedFenixIII

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback