Your questions for the Developers

A section dedicated to developer Q&As.

16.04.2013, 19:06

Joe Mullin:What ideas from the forum have you adopted or will consider adopting?

Do you plan on developing closer developer/community relations (e.g. begin pursuing an active discussion of ideas proposed by the community, stating whether these ideas are being used or not etc.)?

Begin? We've been doing it since day one of development.

That's not saying much. One can claim that they have discussed ideas but that does not state facts such as the amount of ideas discussed and physically introduced into the game. Examples if you please?
Last edited by Vague Reach on 16.04.2013, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Vague Reach

16.04.2013, 19:30

Sorry if this has been asked already, I can't seem to find it.

Will items (weapons, artifacts, ect.) be able to be bought, sold, or traded in-game? If so, will there be some sort of system in place for such actions?
StriderTR

16.04.2013, 19:35

StriderTR:Will items (weapons, artifacts, ect.) be able to be bought, sold, or traded in-game? If so, will there be some sort of system in place for such actions?

Just clarifying, I assume you're talking specifically about trades between players, correct?

Obviously you will be able to buy equipment from the various factions, but I assume you already knew that.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

16.04.2013, 19:45

VagueReach:What ideas from the forum have you adopted or will consider adopting?

Do you plan on developing closer developer/community relations (e.g. begin pursuing an active discussion of ideas proposed by the community, stating whether these ideas are being used or not etc.)?

That's not saying much. One can claim that they have discussed ideas but that does not state facts such as the amount of ideas discussed and physically introduced into the game. Examples if you please?

We have never said we will incorporate fans ideas into the game for certain. But we have regularly had developer Q&A sessions, like this one where we provide direct feedback as well as put forward suggestions from the community directly to the development team. It is nearly impossible to say if an idea is implemented or not as at one time it may seem practical and turn out to not be. The fact is we have been developing this game while in constant communication with the community and things such a "which is your favourite location" polls etc go a long way in telling us what our community likes/dislikes and while inevitably help us make a better game that is closer to the community's hopes and expectations. We communicate and share ideas more than any other development studio and you should appreciate that rather than complain.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

16.04.2013, 19:46

StriderTR:Sorry if this has been asked already, I can't seem to find it.

Will items (weapons, artifacts, ect.) be able to be bought, sold, or traded in-game? If so, will there be some sort of system in place for such actions?

Already Answered. Yes, perhaps take a moment to watch Developer Diary #4 which explains the Black Market. www.youtube.com/vostokgames
joewillburn
Vostok Games

16.04.2013, 19:46

Nexolate:Will items (weapons, artifacts, ect.) be able to be bought, sold, or traded in-game? If so, will there be some sort of system in place for such actions?
Just clarifying, I assume you're talking specifically about trades between players, correct?

Obviously you will be able to buy equipment from the various factions, but I assume you already knew that.

Both will be possible, of course.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

16.04.2013, 19:49

VagueReach:What ideas from the forum have you adopted or will consider adopting?

Also this thread is for questions only and not discussions. So please back on topic. This goes for everyone, including myself.
joewillburn
Vostok Games

16.04.2013, 20:17

- Does the team have a preference yet for which game mode they'll be working on after Teamplay? (Freeplay or Coop?)
- Recently you revealed that clans can form unions with factions at high levels. What are the pros and cons to doing this?
- Will weapons like shotguns and sniper rifles have as many customisation options as weapons like assault rifles and submachine guns? (I.e. What sort of things can we do to the lowly sawn-off?)
- Are there any specialities, aside from magazine capacity, that make light machine guns like the RPD differ from other automatic weapons ? (Suppression, bipod deployment, accuracy when stationary, etc.)
- How will ammunition be handled in the game? Do we have to buy our own ammo? Do we get given ammo for free? Or is it a combination of both (possibly depending on the game mode)?
- How does death/respawning work? You mentioned how weapons are removed/returned at the end of a round in response to another question. Does this mean players only respawn at the end of a round in Teamplay?

Here you go Joe. I hope there's something interesting in there that you can answer.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

16.04.2013, 20:20

Nexolate:- Does the team have a preference yet for which game mode they'll be working on after Teamplay? (Freeplay or Coop?)
- Recently you revealed that clans can form unions with factions at high levels. What are the pros and cons to doing this?
- Will weapons like shotguns and sniper rifles have as many customisation options as weapons like assault rifles and submachine guns? (I.e. What sort of things can we do to the lowly sawn-off?)
- Are there any specialities, aside from magazine capacity, that make light machine guns like the RPD differ from other automatic weapons ? (Suppression, bipod deployment, accuracy when stationary, etc.)
- How will ammunition be handled in the game? Do we have to buy our own ammo? Do we get given ammo for free? Or is it a combination of both (possibly depending on the game mode)?
- How does death/respawning work? You mentioned how weapons are removed/returned at the end of a round in response to another question. Does this mean players only respawn at the end of a round in Teamplay?

Here you go Joe. I hope there's something interesting in there that you can answer.

Good questions. I will make sure these are answered!
joewillburn
Vostok Games

16.04.2013, 20:20

-Should it be possible to get medical if you have injured yourself like break your legs. Would it be possible to find medical supplies that can fix your bones or other things?

-Will you start with anything when you are playing Survarium or you just spawn with nothing and have to find everything?

-If you don't have food or water will you starving or thirst to the dead?

-Can you build your own base or camp?

-Can you go inside into house and go every room in the house?
Last edited by Cpt.Maxly on 16.04.2013, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt.Maxly

16.04.2013, 20:22

Will the map be in 1:1 Scale?
Mikalolai

16.04.2013, 20:24

Joe Mullin:share ideas more than any other development studio

That's not true. Overkill Software has the same community ethos.

Anyway, I have a question for the developers.

Will you be incorporating a mêlée system which allows for directional blocking (as many mutants will be engaging at close range, but at different heights)?
Vague Reach

16.04.2013, 20:31

Will the buildings have entrances, so one could enter and go through all of the rooms and hallways, some just make buildings being place holders for immersion which is fine, but i love the school environment and i wonder will buildings have that same aspect of one being able to explore in quite a large quantity of different type of buildings such as apartment ones.

For example are there apartment buildings one could enter and climb up on? and if they exist what are their rules? are they in a pve co-op or free play.
Last edited by SixShot on 16.04.2013, 22:30, edited 2 times in total.
SixShot

16.04.2013, 21:17

Will there be a "monolith-like" faction in the game that is hostile to everyone??
Nomad

16.04.2013, 21:23

Terry7600:Will you implement a sneak mechanic and if so will it provide with some assassination moves like a throat slit? :3

There already is a confirmed "Disguise" stat that improves when wearing sniper gear :) Animations would be neat too.

ON TOPIC: my question, which is very short and probably not decided yet:

- Are facial accessories going to be widely varied and have different stats?

I was mostly curious because of cosmtic monetization. If you made a bad arse lookin' balaclava or bandana mask for people tho pay it'de be kinda unforgunate if it took up their gas mask slot and made them die easy.
Last edited by Lucidius134 on 16.04.2013, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lucidius134

16.04.2013, 21:26

1. Will weapon reloading be magazine or ammo pool based?

Questions regarding Freeplay mode:

2. Will a character have a need to sleep, eat and drink?

3. As far as sleeping is concerned will a proper shelter be needed to sleep? Or maybe just a sleeping bag?

4. Will it be possible to harvest wild plants for their fruits i.e. apple trees (for eating) or will it be possible to gather different kinds of herbs (for wound treating etc.)?

5. Will it be possible to start a campfire? If yes, then for what possible purposes? Cooking maybe? Keeping the mutants away?

6. Are we going to be served with a map from the very beginning or will it be necessary to find a map and then find your location by using landmarks and a (previously found) compass perhaps?
Geras

16.04.2013, 21:36

Nomad:Will there be a "monolith-like" faction in the game that is hostile to everyone??

There are no NPCs in the game, and having a faction which refuses to trade with you no matter what is pointless.

Geras:2. Will a character have a need to sleep, eat and drink?

The devs have said there is no point having things like hunger for a session only lasting 15 mins to an hour. Food may serve another purpose though.

SgtBigRig:IS the game open world Like an MMO

The game is not currently designed as a seamless open world, locations are separate and session-based. However, Joe did say in another thread that they may consider combining everything together at a later date.

Nexolate
Legend
Alpha squad

16.04.2013, 21:40

SgtBigRig:IS the game open world Like an MMO or is it that match-maker stuff like counterstrike? I really hope its not the latter, because there is no way in heck you can tie a narrative with such a thing let alone meaningful progression.

Also Vehicles: what are you thoughts on them? Not sure how plausible it is, though the idea of letting you and a group of friends stumble across a truck for traveling would be awesome! However it would be even cooler, if you and a friend in the (Renaissance Army) could use a run down T-72 like in this pic https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=560495747305193&set=a.499919410029494.114164.400521933302576&type=1&theater

with low fuel and low ammo, it would still be a heck of a fighting tool, not to mention you would work hard with your friends not to lose it carelessly.

"Q: Will there be vehicles in the game?
A: Currently we do not plan such a feature. ^"

I can't speak on behalf of Vostok here but I think the world IS the narritive. I recall in one of the dev diaries they were talkinga bout finding notes, diaries, etc giving different accounts from people about what happened. Finding these small bits of information provide some narrative. Cp-op will influence the story but things like notes and research papers could be static narrative.
Lucidius134

16.04.2013, 22:03

Nexolate:
The devs have said there is no point having things like hunger for a session only lasting 15 mins to an hour. Food may serve another purpose though.

Oh, I didn't realize that a Freeplay session is going to last only for an hour or so. I haven't read that anywhere. If that's so, well, pity. I thought that the Freeplay maps are going to be so big that it would be a matter of a few days to explore them thoroughly.

So all of the gameplay modes are going to share the same maps?
Last edited by Geras on 16.04.2013, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Geras

16.04.2013, 22:57

Question on vehicles

Will you guys have them? I cant think of any situations cooler than you and a group of friends wondering across an abandoned truck,jeep,ect. Could add things like Fuel resources to gameplay. Also would the Idea of combat vehicles be too far off? I saw the wallpaper of the Renaissance-army riding on top of tanks, and thought how awesome would it be to work hard to get into that faction then have a chance to crew a tank. it might be low on fuel and ammo, but could provide different challenges to players. And make it costly for players that lose the tank carelessly.

Also hope this is actually posted. somehow the question I originally post was DELETED. So hope none of that is going on.
SgtBigRig

In order to reply you must be signed in.

Return to Developer Answers and Feedback